At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.
- Stained glass window depicting a knight kneeling in prayer, with his horse grazing nearby in a grassy field with daisies. Mounted below the window is a light brown marble tablet with details of the Mead brothers. The crests of the Royal Fusiliers and Winchester College are at the centre of the inscription. The tablet has an integral curved frame and is supported by two wall brackets.
- Tablet: In Loving Memory of FREDERISK MEAD who died August 11th 1915/ Aged 58 years & of his two Sons/ JOSEPH FREDERICK MEAD/ 2nd Lieut 4th Battn The Royal Fusiliers/ educated at Winchester College &/ Sandhurst, joined his regiment March 1914./ Killed defending the Nimy Ridge/ at Mons on Sunday 23rd August 1914/ Aged 22 years/ ROBERT JOHN MEAD 2nd Lieut/ 8th Service Battn. The Royal Fusiliers/ educated at Winchester College/ received his commission August 1914/ Died at Armentieres Hospital Aug 2nd 1915/ from wounds received on Sunday Aug 1st/ Aged 19 years/ 'E'en as they trod that day to God so walked they from their birth,/ In simpleness and gentleness and honour and clean mirth,' Rudyard Kipling.
- Inscription legible?
- Names on memorial
- Mead, J
See details for all 2 names
- First World War (1914-1918)
Total names on memorial: 2
Served and returned: 0
Exact count: yes
Information shown: surname,rank,year died,regiment,place of death,age of death,relationships
Order of information: Undefined
- First World War (1914-1918)
Materials: Stained Glass
Measurements: height 690mm, width 117mm
- Listing information
- This memorial is not currently listed. Find out how to nominate this memorial for inclusion on the National Heritage List for England
- More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
- 1918, August 3rd: Application for a faculty to take out the plain glass and replace it with stained glass Sacrifice. June 13th: Application for a faculty for the tablet.
Comments: Paid for by Mrs Mead as a memorial to her husband and to her two sons who were killed in France in the First World War.
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
- Vestry minutes
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact email@example.com.