IWM tells the story of people who have lived, fought and died in conflicts involving Britain and the Commonwealth since the First World War.
We challenge people to look at conflict from different perspectives, enriching their understanding of the causes, course and consequences of war and its impact on people’s lives.
Our staff play a crucial role in caring for our unique collections, welcoming our visitors to our five branches and ensuring we continue to preserve and share powerful personal stories for generations to come.
At IWM we seek to address the need for greater diversity within our workforce as well as the wider museum and heritage sector.
In all our practices we embrace diversity and promote equality of opportunity and we welcome applications from suitable candidates of all backgrounds.
We have a wide range of different roles and career opportunities from curatorial and collections management, to marketing and communications, education, development, business support, IT, digital, retail and admissions and many more.
Please explore our current vacancies and create job alerts to receive updates straight to your inbox.
Volunteers make an important contribution to IWM and opportunities are designed to be meaningful, enjoyable and flexible.
Find out more about what roles are available at our branches and explore remote volunteering opportunities.
Why work for us?
IWM offers a range of benefits and staff discounts.
• Our generous full-time equivalent annual leave allowance is 25 days per annum plus public holidays rising to 30 days after 5 years.
• Access to IWM’s pension scheme including employer contributions.
• Access to select a range of benefits to suit your personal circumstances and lifestyle via our benefits platform, IWM4me. IWM4me offers IWM staff a wide range of health, protection, and lifestyle benefits, many at corporate rates not available on the high street.
• An interest free season ticket loan scheme after successful completion of the probationary period.
• 20% discount in IWM’s shops.
• 25% discount in IWM’s cafes.
• Free entry to the majority of Air Shows at IWM Duxford.
• Free entry to a large number of other museums & galleries and their exhibitions which we have reciprocal arrangements with.
• Enhanced maternity and paternity benefits linked to length of service.
• Access to our in-house training programmes and development.
• IWM staff are entitled to membership of the Benenden Healthcare Society (subject to their terms & conditions)
• Eligibility to join the Civil Service Sports Club, securing additional discounts and benefits.
• Cycle 2 Work Scheme.
• Access to social events run by groups with IWM.
Our culture and values
Our vision is to remain a leader in developing and communicating a deeper understanding of the causes, course, and consequences of war. Using the personal stories and experiences in our unique collections, our objective is to challenge people of all ages to look at war and conflict from different perspectives.
Our people are critical to the success of our organisation.
We are investing in staff wellbeing, which includes the introduction of 14 Mental Health First Aiders (MHFA) across all our branches and across departments. Our Smarter Working Programme will provide staff with greater flexibility to work in a way that is best for them, helping them to live healthier and more balanced lives. The new ways of working will also improve our environmental sustainability, make us a more inclusive workplace, and support our staff to work more collaboratively, effectively, and efficiently.
Four core values guide IWM in our day-to-day work and also set out principles for how we expect IWM employees to approach their work.
We are authoritative, we are relevant, we are empathetic and we are courageous.
What our staff say
“Apart from working with an incredible team of people, the best thing is how different each working day is. One day you can be working with an artist on a really exciting idea, the next you are in your scruffy clothes and overseeing a big tank being dragged into a gallery.”
“Having the opportunity to work so closely with items of historical significance. When you open a storage container and see an object with an incredible personal story, it really takes your breath away.”
“I love interacting with people from all walks of life, be they colleagues from across many different departments and sites or visitors to the museum. I've had the chance to meet some fascinating individuals."