At IWM we are extremely proud to be a volunteer involving organisation with over 1000 volunteers across our five sites. Our volunteers help bring to life the stories of our collections, care for our many significant objects and promote great customer experiences.
Volunteers are central to our future and work.
Our opportunities are designed to be meaningful and enjoyable; we want to ensure you can give as much or as little as you like to our cause.
Our roles are valued across the organisation and offered flexibly from a few hours, day or weeks to a few years, onsite at one of our branches and offsite.
To help others
To make new friends
To make a difference
To learn new skills
Volunteer in 3 Steps
2. We will be in touch
We recruit volunteers at different points across the year as and when there is an organisational need and opportunities arise. It may be that the role you are interested in is not available at a certain time however with your permission we will retain your details for when something comes up.
3. Come along to an information and selection session
We will invite you to a session where you can find out more about the role and whether its right for you and then start our recruitment check process.
Types of Role Available
Based on site. Front of house role focused on enhancing the visitor experience. A welcoming face and positive ambassador for IWM.
- Ideal for those who love meeting new people and have an interest in IWM subject matter
- Volunteers are encouraged to do 1 shift a week where possible
Role focused on changing the way people think or feel about conflict.
- Ideal for those with interest in specific subject matter or have knowledge/expertise e.g Veteran or eye witness.
Based on site. Working with our conservation teams focusing on the care and preservation of our collections
- Ideal for those with specific aspirations to develop or maintain skills in fields such as collections, conservation and object care.
- Ideal for those who wish to take part remotely or contribute towards the digital efforts of the Museum.
- Opportunity to make a valuable contribution for the short or longer term. These recruitments are also encouraged for those who may be less able to join us on site or make a longer term commitment such as overseas visitors or those in full time students.