IWM Non-commercial Licence
The following licence applies to reproductions of certain works in the Imperial War Museums “IWM” collection and means that you can re-use images, film or sound recording for non-commercial purposes under the terms of this licence. To find out which works are included within the definition of “Information”, and which are covered by this licence and available for downloading, please go to Collections Search and use the filter "Share and Reuse". These will be indicated chiefly as © IWM or © Crown Copyright: IWM.
You are encouraged to use the Information that is available under the IWM Non-Commercial Licence, freely and flexibly, within certain conditions. You can download a pdf version of this licence with accepted non-commercial usage examples.
USING INFORMATION UNDER THIS LICENCE
Use of the Information expressly made available under this licence indicates your acceptance of the terms and conditions below.
The Licensor grants you a worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive licence to use the Information for non-commercial purposes subject to the conditions below.
This licence does not affect your freedom under fair dealing or fair use or any other copyright or database right exceptions and limitations.
YOU ARE FREE TO:
- copy, publish, distribute and transmit the Information for Non-Commercial purposes download, embed or link to any Information for Non-Commercial purposes.
YOU MUST, WHERE YOU DO ANY OF THE ABOVE:
- acknowledge the source of the Information by including any attribution statements specified by IWM and any other third parties ( © ......) and where possible, provide a link to the source (e.g. http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/2143);
- ensure that you do not adapt, manipulate, alter, crop or amend the Information in any way that changes the original; without obtaining written permission
- ensure that you do not sell the Information or use it in a Commercial way by, for example, including it in your own product or application which is used in a Commercial way, or by using it for the purposes of advertising or promoting Commercial products;
- ensure that you do not use the Information in a way that suggests any official status;
- ensure that you do not use the Information in a way that trivialises, sensationalises, de-contextualises or demeans the subject matter;
- ensure that you do not use the Information in a way that suggests that IWM or any third party rights holder endorses you or your use of the Information;
- ensure that you do not mislead others or misrepresent the Information or its source;
- ensure that your use of the Information does not breach the requirements of current Data Protection Legislation.
These are important conditions of this licence and if you fail to comply with them the rights granted to you under this licence, or any similar licence granted by the Licensor, will end automatically.
This licence does not cover the use of:
- personal data in the Information;
- Information that has neither been published nor disclosed under information access legislation (including the Freedom of Information Acts for the UK and Scotland) by or with the consent of IWM;
- departmental or public sector organisation logos, crests, military insignia and the Royal Arms except where they form an integral part of a document or dataset;
- third party rights which IWM is not authorised to license;
- Information subject to other intellectual property rights, including patents, trademarks, and design rights; and
The Information is licensed ‘as is’ and IWM excludes all representations, warranties, obligations and liabilities in relation to the Information to the maximum extent permitted by law.
IWM is not liable for any errors or omissions in the Information and shall not be liable for any loss, injury or damage of any kind caused by its use.
This licence is governed by the laws of England and Wales and is subject to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh High Courts.
In this licence, the terms below have the following meanings: 'Commercial' means intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or private monetary compensation.
'Crown Copyright and Crown Database Right' means Information which is subject to copyright and database right owned by the Crown. IWM acting under authority of the Controller of Her Majesty’s Stationery Office (HMSO) has the authority to license Information which is subject to Crown Copyright and Crown Database Right. 'Information' means information protected by copyright or by database right, including but not limited to information subject to Crown Copyright and Crown Database Right offered for use under the terms of this licence. Information includes but is not limited to literary and artistic works such as text and images, sound recordings, broadcasts, films and musical works.
'IWM (Imperial War Museums)' means the organisation providing the Information under this licence.
'Licensor' means IWM acting under authority of the Controller of HMSO which has the authority to offer Information under the terms of this licence including Information subject to Crown copyright and Crown database right and Information subject to copyright and database right that has been assigned to or acquired by the Crown and other Information not subject to Crown copyright and Crown database right under the terms of this licence. 'Non-Commercial' means not intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or private monetary compensation. See further definitions here 'Use' as a verb, means doing any act which is restricted by copyright or database right, whether in the original medium or in any other medium, and includes for the purpose of this licence use without limitation distributing or copying in accordance with the terms of this licence . 'You' means the natural or legal person, or body of persons corporate or incorporate, acquiring rights under this licence.
ABOUT THIS LICENCE
Last updated January 2020. This licence has been developed in accordance with the principles set out in the UK Government’s Licensing Framework.