Use this image under non-commercial licence
This image was created and shared by: Brian Mawdsley
The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Brian Mawdsley (WMR-11769)
- In the Crypt, Chapel of St. Faith south aisle, a tablet incorporating medallion framed by military trophies. Carved marble wall panel. In the lower section of the tapering white marble slab is an oval medallion portrait of a young man with a moustache and side-whiskers, facing left. The medallion is surrounded by a laurel branch (left) and an oak branch (right) tied at the base with a ribbon; behind are battle standards (one with an eagle mast, one with a crescent moon and star mast), a rifle, sword and pouch. The memorial inscription is in the upper half and the panel is fixed against a black marble back-panel.
- TO RECORD / THE DEATH AND GALLANT SERVICES OF / CAPTAIN HENRY LANGHORNE THOMPSON, C.B., / THIS TABLET IS ERECTED BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION. / HIS NAME / WILL LIVE IN THE ANNALS OF HIS COUNTRY, / AS ONE OF THE / DEFENDERS OF KARS. / HE DIED ON THE 13TH. JUNE 1856, / AGED 26.
- Inscription legible?
- Names on memorial
- Thompson, Henry, Langhorne
- Crimean War (1853-1856)
Total names on memorial: 1
Served and returned: Undefined
Exact count: yes
Information shown: surname,rank,year died,forename,manner of death,age of death,additional,decorations
Order of information: Undefined
- Crimean War (1853-1856)
- Listing information
- This memorial is not currently listed. Find out how to nominate this memorial for inclusion on the National Heritage List for England
- More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
- ST PAUL'S CATHEDRAL by BURMAN, PETER P. 127 Source: Image Library NIWM
- St Paul's Cathedral Inventory Inv no.422
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact [email protected]