At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please upload it via our image upload form for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.

Memorial details

Memorial type
Church Fabric / Fitting: Pulpit or pulpit part
District
City Of Aberdeen
Town
Aberdeen
County
Grampian
Country
Scotland
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918)
Maker
Messrs Hendry and Keith, carpenters (Carpenter)
Messrs D. K. Graham and Son, carvers (Wood Carver)
Gilding by Messrs John Mason and Sons, painters (Painter)
The whole work has been designed and (supervised by Mr W. E. Gauld, F. R. I. B. A., architect (Designer)
Ceremony
  • Dedicated
    Date: 4 November 1920
    Attended by: Rev. J. Esslemont Adams, D. S. O., M. C., West United Free Church
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
84184

Support the IWM War Memorial Register

Donate with Just Giving

Since 1988 IWM's War Memorials Register has been creating a national register of UK war memorials and the names of the individuals they commemorate. IWM needs your support to ensure that we can add to and maintain our these important records.

Previous locations
  • Built in 1905 as the North United Free Church
    became Church of Scotland at reunion in 1929
    79
    North Church of St Andrew
    Aberdeen
    Queen Street
    Aberdeen
    City Of Aberdeen
    Grampian
    AB10 1AN
    Scotland

    OS Grid Ref: NJ 94380 06550
    Denomination: Church of Scotland
Description
From newspaper report-"The memorial takes the form of a pulpit, placed in front of the existing platform, constructed of Japanese oak, fumed and dull polished, of octagonal shape. The names of the fallen — 65 in all — are in carved two side panels, while the central panel contains the following inscription …." "which is surmounted by a Latin cross in blue and gold, with carved oak and laurel leaves in lower corners. The panels are framed by finely carved and enriched mouldings, and are flanked by moulded and fluted pilasters, with carved lonic capitals." "and also of a Bible, Psalter, and Hymnary, in memory of the men of the church who fell in the war" Now North Church of St Andrew
Inscription
"To the glory of God and ever grateful memory of the brave men this church who in the Great War laid down their lives for Truth and Freedom — 1914-19,"
Inscription legible?
yes
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 65
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 65
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: Undefined
    Order of information: Undefined
Components
  • Pulpit
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Wood - Oak
  • Plaques / Panels with names
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Wood
Condition
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Reference
  • Aberdeen Press and Journal - Saturday 06 November 1920 memorials.iwm.org.uk/memorials/edit/84184/reference NORTH U.F. CHURCH MEMORIAL. A memorial to the men of the congregation the North U.F Church, Aberdeen, who fell in the war has just been erected, and will be dedicated to-morrow by the Rev. J. Esslemont Adams, D. S. O., M. C. The memorial takes (he form of a pulpit, placed in front of the existing platform, constructed of Japanese oak, fumed and dull polished, of octagonal shape. The names of the fallen — 65 in all — are in carved two side panels, while the central panel contains the following inscription: — "To the glory of God and ever grateful memory of the brave men this church who in the Great War laid down their lives for Truth and Freedom — 1914-19," which is surmounted by a Latin cross in blue and gold, with carved oak and laurel leaves in lower corners. The panels are framed by finely carved and enriched mouldings, and are flanked by moulded and fluted pilasters, with carved lonic capitals. . Tho work has been carried out with great care and skill by Messrs Hendry and Keith, carpentere, and reflects great credit on them and on Messrs D. K. Graham and Son, carvers. The gildng of the memorial has been done by Messrs John Mason and Sons, painters, who have just completed the decoration of church in a tasteful and artistic manner. The whole work has been designed and (supervised by Mr W. E. Gauld, F. R. I. B. A., architect, who also designed the communion table, recently dedicated to the memory of the late Rev. J. S. Stewart, minister of the congregation.
  • Aberdeen Press and Journal - Monday 08 November 1920 www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0000576/19201108/115/0007 MEMORIAL TABLET IN THE NORTH U.F. CHURCH. SERVICE OF DEDICATION. The dedication the pulpit, which has been erected in the (North United Free Church, Aberdeen, and also of a Bible, Psalter, and Hymnary, in memory of the men of the church who fell in the war, took place yesterday at the forenoon service. There was a crowded congregation. The service was conducted by the Rev. J. Adams, D. S. O., M. C., West United Free Church, and was exceedingly impressive. Adams, in the course of his sermon, said he had them for the sacred privilege they had extended to him summoning him to join them on that memorable Sunday in their history, when they contemplated, in the place where prayer was made, to commemorate the valour of their noble sons who had laid down their lives in the great war. Their names liad long been engraven on the memory of those who mourned, and were now inscribed on the pulpit of the House God, where in the years that were past they had bowed their heads in petition and desire. So would these men be held in everlasting remembrance, and generations to come would read their names, and speak, what the world owed' them. These men were of the stock that won Bannockburn. They had played a great part, and those who bore them had a right to be proud. They were not afraid to go. forth and to die. This week would bring a return of Armistice Day, and an unknown .warrior would buried in Westminster Abbey among the great men and women the Empire. The.Prince of Wales had said that the present week was to be obligation week to the citizens of the British Empire — an obligation towards the thousands of men who deserved a proper chance of making good. Mr Adams concluded by paying a tribute to the valour the men of all branches of H.M. service during the war, and then unveiled the pulpit, and gave the dedication prayer. The choir sang "What are These?" and "Asleep in Jesus." The "Last Post" was sounded by Mr Robert Jeffrey, late of the Gordon Highlanders.

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-84184

For queries, please contact [email protected]