At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to memorials@iwm.org.uk for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.

Memorial details

Memorial type
Board / Plaque / Tablet
District
Stirling
Town
Campsie
County
Central
Country
Scotland
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918)
Maker
Messrs. Archibald Hamilton, Glassford Street, Glasgow (Makers)
Ceremony
  • Unveiled
    Date: 18 June 1922
    Attended by: Miss King, Antermony
  • Dedicated
    Date: 18 June 1922
    Attended by: Rev. Mr. Finlayson
  • Show More (1)
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
5807
Current location

Was on the wall in the vestibule of the church
130
Parish Kirk
Main Street
Lennoxtown
Campsie
Stirling
Central
G66 7DA
Scotland

OS Grid Ref: NS 62863 77685
Denomination: Church of Scotland

View location on Google Maps
Description
Brass Plaque on a dark marble pattress on the wall in the vestibule.
Inscription
(unknown)
Inscription legible?
yes
Names on memorial
Allan, Daniel
Anderson, James
Anderson, John
Brechin, James
Britton, William
Calder, John
Donaldson, A. Howard
Fleming, John B.
Flett, William B.
Galt, George
See details for all 47 names
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 47
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 47
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname, forenames
    Order of information: surname
Components
  • Plaque
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Brass
  • Backboard
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Marble
Condition
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Reference
  • Kirkintilloch Herald - Wednesday 21 June 1922 www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0001579/19220621/080/0005 PARISH CHURCH WAR MEMORIAL UNVEILED The War Memorial in Campsie Parish Church was unveiled and dedicated at a special service held in the hurch last Sunday afternoon, when it was estimated that close on twelve hundred worshippers were present. …. (names) …..
  • Kirkintilloch Gazette - Friday 23 June 1922 www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0001607/19220623/060/0003 CAMPSIE PARISH CHURCH. UNVEILING OF WAR MEMORIAL. On Sunday afternoon there was a large congregation in Campsie Parish Church when the congregational war memorial was unveiled and dedicated. Kirkintilloch Pipe Band headed the procession of ex-service men and others to the Church, where the service was conducted by Rev. A. W. Finlayson. The choral service was very appropriate, opening with the 23rd Psalm, followed by the hymns, "For Ever with the Lord," “For all the Saints who from their Labours Rest,â€� “God of our Fathers known of old,â€� and the National anthem. The first two hymns were interspersed by the anthem "What are these that are Arrayed in White Robes’* sung by the choir. Rev. A. W. Finlayson took his text from the well-known words in John's Gospel, xv., 13, “Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his for his friends.â€� Jesus Christ laid down His life for the good of all mankind. The men of this church who went forth to war, of whom knew nothing owing to not having been appointed till after the fighting was over, nobly died for their King and Country and friends; they died to give us freedom. Their sacrifice will have been in vain should we fail, God forbid, to rally round the banner of The Master by leading noble and unselfish lives, making self of secondary importance, living for the good of humanity, and show by acts that the sacrifice of the noble dead has not been in vain. Miss King, Antermony House, unveiled the memorial, and Sir George Stirling, D.S.O., Bart, of Glorat, read the names of the fallen as follows:— (names) After the prayer of dedicatfon by Rev. A. W. Finalyson, "The Last Post" was sounded, and the Recessional hymn "God of our Fathers known of old" was sung. The service was a very impressive one. The memorial is a brass tablet set into one of the walls the vestibule and has a dark marble surround. Ex-service men, Boy Scouts, and Girl Guides who marched from the Drill Hall headed by the Kirkintilloch and Lenzie Pipe Band, were provided with seats in the front area of the church.

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-5807

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.