previous
next
  • Orphan work

    The source of this image is unknown and is shared as an orphan work.

Memorial details

Memorial type
Board / Plaque / Tablet
District
City Of Edinburgh
Town
Edinburgh
County
Lothian
Country
Scotland
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918)
Ceremony
  • Unveiled
    Date: 24 April 1921
    Attended by: Very Rev. Dr J. C. Russell, V.D.
  • Dedicated
    Date: 24 April 1921
    Attended by: Rev. Dr. Norman Maclean of St Cuthbert's Church
  • Show More (1)
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
5633
Current location

Located on the south wall under the organ
1
Greyfriars Kirk
Greyfriars
Edinburgh
City Of Edinburgh
Lothian
EH1 2QQ
Scotland

OS Grid Ref: NT 25633 73261
Denomination: Church of Scotland

View location on Google Maps
Previous locations
  • St Oran's Parish Church
    Broughton Street
    Edinburgh
    City Of Edinburgh
    Lothian
    EH1 3RH
    Scotland

    OS Grid Ref: NT 25874 74443
    Denomination: Church of Scotland
Description
Rectangular brass plaque with simple black border. Inscription in black and red lettering.
Inscription
ST ORAN'S PARISH CHURCH/ TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN LOVING MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1919/ (Names)/ DILEAS GU BAS
Inscription legible?
yes
Names on memorial
Bain, John M
Bain, William K
Cameron, Dugald
Campbell, David
Clement, Alex
Macculloch, D
Macculloch, Iain
Macfarlane, C
Macgregor, J Campbell
Mackinnon, D
See details for all 18 names
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 18
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 18
    Exact count: no
    Information shown: Rank, forenames, surname, regiment, decorations
    Order of information: Alphabetically
Components
  • Plaque
    Measurements: height 300 mm, width 610 mm
    Materials: Brass
Condition
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Responsibility
Greyfriars Church
Reference
  • warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-post-82465.html
  • From The Scotsman, 25 April 1921. ST ORAN'S PARISH CHURCH, EDINBURGH The war memorial of St Oran's (Gaelic) Parish Church in Broughton Street, Edinburgh was unveiled yesterday at a service held in the church in the morning. Appropriate hymns in Gaelic and English were sung, the congregation standing while the minister of St Oran's, the Rev. J Duff MacDonald, read the list of 18 names inscribed on the memorial, headed by the name of the Rev. J Campbell MacGregor, V.D., Chaplain to the Expeditionary Force, France, minister of St Oran's 1911-16. The ministers and office-bearers proceeded to the door of the church for the unveiling ceremony which was conducted by the Very Rev. Dr J. C. Russell, V.D. There followed the dedication by the Rev. Dr. Norman Maclean, St Cuthbert's and the sounding of "The Last Post". With the return of the ministers to the church the congregation resumed their seats, and the service was continued, ending with a pibroch lament, "The Flowers o' the Forest" by Pipe-Corporal Angus Martin.

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-5633

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.