At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to [email protected] for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.
- Stone gateway with dedicatory metal plaque placed on the lintel
- TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN LOVING MEMORY OF/ THE TWO HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN/ AMERICAN SAILORS AND SOLDIERS/ OF THE WAR 1812 WHO DIED HERE/ THIS MEMORIAL GATEWAY/ IS ERECTED BY THE/ NATIONAL SOCIETY UNITED STATES/ DAUGHTERS OF 1812/ 30TH MAY 1928
- Inscription legible?
Measurements: height 260mm, width 420mm
Measurements: depth 75mm, height 2800mm, width 2800mm
- Listing information
- H M Prison Dartmoor: Commemorative Gate to the American Prisoner of War Cemetery
- Grade II
- This memorial is protected, and listed on the National Heritage List for England maintained by Historic England. View list entry
- More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
- Dartmoor - Gate to the American POW Cemetery
- WMO ID: 270222
- Condition: Undefined [last updated on 12-02-2020]
- Help update these details if the condition is wrong
- Wooden gate is no longer there- though iron brackets remain
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
- Mr. Brett Johnson, curator of HMP Dartmoor museum
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact [email protected]