The silhouette of the back of a black cat on a red rectangle with a red sword, point uppermost, superimposed. This example is folded for wear and the cat's tail is to the right.
This is the second pattern badge for this post-War Division.
The 56th (London) Division in WW2 (qv) was an infantry division with the same basic design (Dick Whittinton's black cat), but without the sword. When the TA was reformed in May 1947 the 56th Division was formed as an armoured division and adopted a blue knight's helmet behind which a red sword on a white ground.
For reasons unknown, in 1950 this first sign was dropped in favour of a variation on the original black cat design. The armoured role was to be indicated by a red sword, point up, superimposed on the cat's back, the device taken from the Division's WW1 sign and from the arms of the City of London.