Explore the former RAF fighter station that was used during both the First and Second World Wars. IWM Duxford is home to an impressive collection of over two hundred aircraft as well as tanks, military vehicles and maritime craft.
- Suitable for: Ages 7+ (Key stage 2 and above)
- Accessibility: Most of IWM Duxford is accessible to visitors– for more information see Accessibility
- Duration: An average school visit is approximately 3-4 hours
- Cost: please see tickets and prices pages for Schools and Groups
What to see
As part of your visit you can explore:
- AirSpace - Highlights changes in design, technology and materials in aircraft construction and has a good selection of First and Second World War aeroplanes, post war jets, civilian aircraft and other forms of transport
- Hangar 4 - See exhibitions linked to the air defence of Britain from the First World War to the Cold War. Find out about the Battle of Britain in particular and see the 1940 Operations Room
- Land Warfare - Find out about D-Day and the Normandy Landings and see the Royal Anglian Regiment Museum. A great place for looking at mechanisms and transport
American Air Museum – our newly opened American Air Museum is a great place to support learning on Superpower Relations and Cold War, including Vietnam. The collection is also fantastic for those studying STEM subjects.
For further information visit our What to See pages.
What do we offer to booked groups and schools?
- Free coach parking
- A room for lunch (subject to availability)
- Activity trails
Planning your visit
- We offer two tickets for teachers to conduct pre-visit planning. To book your visit please email Dux-Edu@iwm.org.uk with the date and IWM branch you would like to visit.
- Write your risk assesment
- You might also want to use our free activity trails and digital learning resources to inspire your self-guided visit.
- IWM Duxford map