Teachers are advised to carry out a preliminary visit in advance of their school trip in order to conduct their own risk assessment. Responsibility for pupils on school visits remains with the teachers at all times.
Everyday hazards such as slipping, tripping or falling on stairs, trapping fingers in doors and cuts and bruises are inherent in all environments. The following site specific factors should be considered in relation to the individual needs of each group member.
- IWM North is located between a busy main road and the Manchester Ship Canal.
- IWM North can be accessed by pedestrians via a footbridge over the canal.
- The site is part of The Quays complex of shops, galleries and businesses.
- There is a large public car park in front of the museum. Please look out for moving vehicles.
- IWM North is a public building with a variety of entrances/exits, exhibition spaces and learning spaces with different lighting levels over two floors.
- The building is designed to encourage visitors to consider the confusion experienced during conflict - the floor of the Main Exhibition Space has a gentle slope.
- During The Big Picture Show the Main Exhibition Space will be dark and there may be loud noises.
- This can be very disorientating. It is suggested that a meeting point in a highly visible location be agreed with all group members.
- Exhibitions may display material relating to the consequences of conflict. Teachers should consider what is age appropriate for their students.
- Groups must have the correct adult-to-student ratio of 1:10 (minimum) for primary schools and 1:15 (minimum) for secondary schools.
- IWM North reserves the right to refuse admission to groups who do not meet this ratio on the day.
- Lost pupils should make their way to the Information Desk where staff will assist them in locating their supervising adult.
- Supervising adults must remain with their students at all times to supervise their activities, monitor their behaviour, ensure their Health and Safety, and accompany them in the event of an evacuation.
Supervising adults should ensure that their pupils understand how they are expected to behave. If the behaviour of anyone in your group adversely affects the safety or enjoyment of other visitors or staff, or causes damage to exhibits, this person may be asked to leave. Please brief your students about appropriate behaviour and have contingency measures in place in case anyone is asked to leave the building.
Fire and Evacuation
- Supervising adults should familiarise themselves with the locations of all the fire exits. A siren and announcements over the public-address system areused to alert staff and visitors of an evacuation. IWM North staff will assist members of the public in an emergency. Lifts should not be used.
- At the Assembly Point, teachers should take the register and report any missing persons to a member of IWM North security staff.
- IWM North has members of staff trained to provide basic first aid treatment, although first aid provision is ultimately the responsibility of the teacher leading the group.
- Please ask a member of staff if you require any treatment during your visit.
- Please report any accidents to the Information Desk for recording in the accident book.
- All employees have passed through a security vetting system and carry ID cards with their photograph so they can be recognised by visitors.
- Staff working directly with students are experienced in working with children and have undergone an Enhanced Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) disclosure.
- IWM North has a Protection of Children and Vulnerable Adults policy in place.
- Please report any incident or allegation of inappropriate behaviour to a member of staff immediately.
- The inside and outside of IWM North are covered by a comprehensive network of CCTV cameras. Images are monitored and recorded to help ensure the safety of visitors and the exhibits.
- Please do not leave bags or other personal items unattended other than in the designated areas.
- If you see anything suspicious please report it to a member of staff immediately.
- Please do not touch any unattended item.
Galleries and exhibitions are on a number of different floors. Sensible footwear is recommended.
- Any materials to be handled as part of programmed activities (such as in learning sessions) have been risk-assessed.
- Staff leading the activities will advise those taking part of any necessary precautions and will ensure safe behaviour.