Our expert staff have put together this useful information to help you start your research into your family history.

Records for civilians are not usually held centrally, so local county/borough archives are good places to start looking. The National Archives (TNA) will have policy documentation and other sources relating to all the areas below (though rarely relating to individuals), and have information sheets on their website. You can also research all aspects of Second World War life at IWM. Search our website and/or book an appointment in our Research Room.