Subject to the obligations stated below, Imperial War Museums ‘IWM’ grant the Member a non-exclusive, non-transferable licence to use the Material provided via Sharefile for Non-Commercial purposes. No other use of the Material shall be made or authorised by the Member, unless expressly agreed by IWM in writing.
By downloading Material the Member indicates their acceptance of this Agreement. IWM reserves the right to update this Agreement at any point.
ACCEPTED NON-COMMERCIAL USAGE
IWM considers the following as permitted use of its content for these purposes.
- Any use NOT intended for or directed towards commercial advantage or monetary compensation, including the promotion of a business or gaining users, sales or donations.
- Personal use for non-commercial research and private study and other uses under the UK’s exceptions to copyright and those exceptions to copyright in place where the user is located.
- Use on websites that are primarily information-led, research-oriented and not behind a paywall.
- Use on personal social media accounts, provided the individuals are not promoting themselves commercially.
- Non-commercial educational use for the purpose of teaching and instruction, including internal training.
- Downloading audio-visual for non-commercial offline listening or viewing.
- Free exhibitions held in venues, which do not charge an entry fee.
The Member undertakes and agrees with IWM:
- Usage of the Material or any extracts of the material is for Non-Commercial purposes only, as indicated above
- The Material will not be copied or distributed to third-parties (other than the general public) outside of the Network. The Material will not be adapted, manipulated, altered, cropped or amended in any way, with the sole exceptions of the Timeline (Text Version) and Image Labels (Word documents and free text on webpage), which the Member is permitted to adapt, manipulate, alter, crop or amend for their own uses and requirements, as long as the adapted Material [Timeline (Text Version only) and Image Labels] is used for Non Commercial purposes, the Member attributes the Material appropriately, and does not suggest that that IWM endorses their adaptations
- The Material will not be sold or used for Commercial purposes by, for example, including it in a product or application which is used in a Commercial way, or by using it for the purposes of advertising or promoting Commercial products. To find out more about licensing IWM material for commercial use, please visit this page.
- Any watermarks or spoilers will not be removed
- The Material will not be used in a way that trivialises, sensationalises, decontextualizes or demeans the subject matter
- The Material will not be used in a way that suggests that IWM or any third party rights holder endorses the use of the Material
- Usage of the Material will not misrepresent the Material or its source
- Usage of the Material will not breach the Data Protection Act 1998 or the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003.
You must acknowledge the source of the Information by including any attribution statements specified by IWM and any other third parties ( © ......). All Crown Copyright material provided by IWM for exploitation by the Member is subject to this Agreement and the source should be credited as © Crown Copyright IWM.
This licence does not affect your freedom under fair dealing or fair use or any other copyright or database right exceptions and limitations.
COMMERCIAL AND OTHER USES
The Member acknowledges and agrees that any Commercial use of the Material specified in the attached schedule shall be subject to additional terms and fees under the ‘Standard terms and conditions governing the release of material from IWM collections for commercial use’. Additionally, if the member wishes to use Material in a commercial way or a way not permitted under this Agreement, or requires a higher resolution copy of the Material, the Member should contact the IWM collection sales teams (see contact details page of the IWM website) or the third party equivalent, and a fee may apply.
The Material is supplied ‘as is’ and IWM excludes all representations, warranties, obligations and liabilities in relation to the Material to the maximum extent permitted by law. IWM is not liable for any errors or omissions in the Material and shall not be liable for any loss, injury or damage of any kind caused by its use.
This agreement is governed by the laws of England and Wales and is subject to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh High Courts. Definitions The terms below have the following meanings:
- ‘Commercial’ means intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or private monetary compensation.
- ‘Crown Copyright’ means Material which is subject to copyright and database right owned by the Crown. IWM acting under authority of the Controller of Her Majesty’s Stationery Office (HMSO) has the authority to issue this licence for Material which is subject to Crown Copyright and Crown Database Right.
- ‘IWM’ and ‘Imperial War Museums’ means The Trustees of the Imperial War Museum, Lambeth Road, London, SE1 6HZ.
- ‘Non Commercial’ means not intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or private monetary compensation.
- ‘Material’ means audio-visual recordings. artwork, film, photographs, audio (including any typescripts or reproductions), CD or any other medium (whether analogue or digital) supplied to the Member by IWM and third parties.
- ‘Member’ means any individual or organisation who has signed up to the War and Conflict Subject Specialist Network
Last updated 20 March 2020