Find out more about the Mapping the Centenary project.
IWM has created a digital portal containing information about projects and activities that marked the First World War Centenary (FWWC) from 2014 – 2019. The portal is not a repository for digital content; rather, it provides an insight into the ways in which this anniversary period was marked and will be a useful resource for cultural heritage organisations, researchers, educators and members of the public.
The portal is developed with the kind support of the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport
The key features of the portal are:
- A searchable database of projects and activities that took place during the centenary
- A map showing featured projects submitted by groups and individuals
- Entries for individual projects including, where relevant, links to live or archived websites
- Blog posts highlighting interesting case studies and examples of projects
- Ideas for using the portal in schools
- Links to guidance on archiving and digital preservation
We feature a representative example of activity from throughout the UK and beyond, undertaken by a range of different organisations and individuals – from museums to local history groups, and schools to independent researchers.
Submissions to the portal closed on Monday 15 March 2021.
IWM cannot host or preserve websites, or digital or physical content, on your behalf. However, we do recommend looking the following sites for further information on this:
- Saving the Centenary’s digital heritage: recommendations for digital sustainability of First World War community commemoration activities. Guidelines written by the University of Glasgow, including practical advice on storage and file formats.
- UK Web Archive Submit details of your website, to be considered for inclusion in this national archive run by the British Library.
- People’s Collection Wales A free online repository for material that links to the history, culture and people of Wales.
- WW1 Community Platform A portal specifically for First World War Centenary projects funded by National Lottery Heritage Fund.
- First World War Centenary Community Collection Held by the University of Essex Library Special Collections, the collection comprises of books, leaflets, postcards, catalogues, flyers, DVDs and CDs produced by groups who received funding from National Lottery Heritage Fund.
- Europeana 1914 – 1918 Add digitised images and stories to this online database.
If you wish to make any edits to your form submission, or have any questions, please contact us at [email protected]
If your question is not answered within these FAQs, you can get in touch with the IWM Partnerships Team at [email protected]