There are two search options, for memorials, and for names. The following sections provide details of how to use each.
Search over 74,000 UK war memorials by memorial name, type, locations and more
After entering a word or phrase (or leave it empty to return all records) you can use powerful filters to limit results by type, location, and a variety of other features. Here are some examples to get you started:
- Simple text search for "Artillery" - just type "Artillery" in the search box
- Crosses in Cornwall - run an empty search to view all records and then use the filters to limit to Type:Cross and then County:Cornwall
- Grade II listed memorials (England only) in poor condition - run an empty search to view all records and then use the filters to limit to Listing Grade: II and then Condition: Poor. Uses data supplied by our partners Historic England and War Memorials Trust.
Search over 1 million names on war memorials record by surname, location etc
A basic search is the best starting point and will query across multiple fields, including surnames, forenames, and locations.
After running a search (leave search box empty for all names records) you can run powerful filters to limit for specific names, locations, service details etc*
- Simple text search for "Morley" - will find matches for the name Morley (firstname or surname), and for those names appearing on memorials in Morley, Yorkshire
- As above, but only those with the surname Morley - choose Surname: Morley from the filters menu
- As above, but only names from memorials in Morley, West Yorkshire - choose Memorial town:Morley from the original search. Additionally, you can then use the Memorial title filter to choose a specific memorial such as St. Andrew's Church - WW1 (WMR 69093)
* note that information is only recorded as stated on memorials and details of full names, ranks, units, honours etc are often omitted