There are two search options, for memorials, and for names. The following sections provide details of how to use each.
After entering a word or phrase (or leave it empty to return all records) you can use powerful filters to limit results by type, location, and a variety of other features. Here are some examples to get you started:
- Simple text search for "Artillery" - just type "Artillery" in the search box
- Crosses in Cornwall - run an empty search to view all records and then use the filters to limit to Type:Cross and then County:Cornwall
- Grade II listed memorials (England only) in poor condition - run an empty search to view all records and then use the filters to limit to Listing Grade: II and then Condition: Poor. Uses data supplied by our partners Historic England and War Memorials Trust.
A basic search is the best starting point and will query across multiple fields, including surnames, forenames, and locations.
After running a search (leave search box empty for all names records) you can run powerful filters to limit for specific names, locations, service details etc*
- Simple text search for "Morley" - will find matches for the name Morley (firstname or surname), and for those names appearing on memorials in Morley, Yorkshire
- As above, but only those with the surname Morley - choose Surname: Morley from the filters menu
- As above, but only names from memorials in Morley, West Yorkshire - choose Memorial town:Morley from the original search. Additionally, you can then use the Memorial title filter to choose a specific memorial such as St. Andrew's Church - WW1 (WMR 69093)
* note that information is only recorded as stated on memorials and details of full names, ranks, units, honours etc are often omitted