previous
next
  • Use this image under non-commercial licence

    This image was created and shared by: Pip Dodd, National Army Museum

    The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Pip Dodd, National Army Museum (WMR-93671)

    Embed
    HTML: BBCode:

Memorial details

Memorial type
Board / Plaque / Tablet
District
Kensington And Chelsea
Town
Chelsea
County
Greater London
Country
England
Commemoration
Regimental Memorials
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
93671
Current location

NAM Accession Reference 1998-10-22-1
National Army Museum
Royal Hospital Road
Chelsea
Kensington And Chelsea
Greater London
SW3 4HT
England

OS Grid Ref: TQ 27844 77947
Denomination: Undefined

View location on Google Maps
Previous locations
  • In the Frontier Forces' Chapel/Sanctum
    St Luke's Church
    Sydney Street
    Chelsea
    Kensington And Chelsea
    Greater London
    SW3 6NH
    England

    OS Grid Ref: TQ 27188 78326
    Denomination: Church of England
Description
Rectangular brass plaque with incised black lettering.
Inscription
3RD (ROYAL) BN 12TH FRONTIER FORCE REGT/ TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND TO THE MEMORY OF/ THE FOLLOWING OFFICERS OF/ THE 3RD SIKHS P.F.F./ WHOSE MEMORIALS WERE DESTROYED BY FIRE/ IN KOHAT CHURCH 1938./ (NAMES)/ ALSO THE FOLLOWING OFFICERS OF/ THE 53RD SIKHS F.F./ WHO DIED BETWEEN THE TWO WORLD WARS/ (NAMES)
Inscription legible?
no
Names on memorial
Aislabie, W B
Beresford, J H B
Broun, J R
Burton, H G
Dawson, R N
Fasken, E J N
Griffiths, C J
Manners-smith, C H
Melliss, Sir C J
Mocatta, D
See details for all 20 names
Commemorations
  • Regimental Memorials
    Total names on memorial: 20
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 20
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: Rank, initials, surname, decorations
    Order of information: Rank, initials, surname, decorations
Components
  • Plaque
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Brass
Listing information
Condition
History
After the Partition of India in August 1947 the Frontier Force units were divided between the Indian and Pakistan Armies. It was then decided that the memorials to the Punjab Frontier Force, 'The Piffers', erected in the garrison churches should be relocated to England, and in 1951 they were installed in the Parish Church of St Luke's, Chelsea. / Having been installed in the Frontier Force Chapel within St Luke's Church in Chelsea in 1951, in 1998 this plaque was among several Frontier Force-related memorials that were donated to the National Army Museum.
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Responsibility
The National Army Museum (their reference NAM 1998-10-22-1
Reference
  • The National Army Museum's Accession number for this plaque is NAM 1998-10-22-1. (Items held by the National Army Museum are sometimes placed on temporary display at various sites, including the Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst. Anyone wishing to know the precise current location of this particular memorial is therefore advised to contact the National Army Museum, quoting their reference, to ascertain exactly where it is).
  • Information re the setting up of the Frontier Force Chapel within St Luke's Church in Chelsea in 1951, and the subsequent donation of most of those memorials to the National Army Museum in 1998, can be found at jullundurassociation.org/punjab-frontier-force/

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-93671

For queries, please contact [email protected]