At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please upload it via our image upload form for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.

Memorial details

Memorial type
East Lothian
First World War (1914-1918)
  • Unveiled
    Date: March 1921
    Attended by: General Sir Francis Davies, of Scottish Command
Not lost
WM Reference

Support IWM

Donate with Just Giving

Any gift we receive makes a vital contribution to our ongoing work, from conserving our collection to supporting our public programme.

Current location

outside Yester Parish Church
Main Street
East Lothian
EH41 4QH

OS Grid Ref: NT 53460 68079
Denomination: Undefined

View location on Google Maps
Celtic cross on a tapered pedestal and a 3 stage base. The dedication is carved on the shaft of the cross, and the names in 2 columns on the pedestal- both on the 6 o'clock face
Inscription legible?
Names on memorial
Bald, James
Bald, Robert
Brown, Marcus
Brown, William
Crozier, John S B
Dickson, Andrew
Donaldson, John
Fraser, Murdoch
Hay, (lord) Arthur V
Ketchey, John
See details for all 18 names
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 18
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 18
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname, forenames
    Order of information: surname THEN forename
  • Cross
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Stone
  • Pedestal
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Stone
  • Base
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Stone
Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
  • The Scotsman 26 March 1921. WAR MEMORIALS YESTER PARISH.— A Celtic cross, composed of Craikland stone, in memory of 18 men of Yester Parish, East Lothian, has been unveiled at Gifford by General Sir Francis Davies, of Scottish Command. There was a large attendance. There were also representatives of the local Comrades and the Boy Scouts. The Marquis of Tweeddale, in introducing Sir Francis Davies, said he hoped that the memorial would be an example to all future generations, reminding them what the noble men whose names were engraved thereon had died for, and that Britain would prove worthy of these sacrifices. Sir Francis Davies said that he had unveiled a great many memorials in different parts of the country, but he had always considered that the kind which touched him most was such as in a small parish like Gifford, where the heroes had been known to the people from their youth upwards. He alluded to the utter devastation of the Somme area, which in many respects was not unlike East Lothian, and impressed upon those at home what the Germans would have perpetrated in this country had they succeeded in landing. Having unveiled the memorial, the names of the fallen were read by the Marquis of Tweeddale, followed by the sounding of the "Last Post." Several wreaths were placed on the memorial.

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-89313

For queries, please contact [email protected].