At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.
- Paper Roll of Honour in a glazed wooden frame
- PARISH OF BOLTON/RECORD OF WAR SERVICE/1914-1918/[names in 2 columns]
- Inscription legible?
- Names on memorial
- Anderson, Charles
Baird, William Arthur
Blunt, Duncan Hamilton
Cowie, John P
Dodds, Andrew M
Goodall, Thomas Clark
See details for all 44 names
- First World War (1914-1918)
Total names on memorial: 41
Served and returned: 32
Exact count: yes
Information shown: surname, forenames, rank, regiment, manner of death, place of death, date of death, place of burial, details of service, place of service, additional
Order of information: Undefined
- First World War - civilians
Total names on memorial: 3
Served and returned: 0
Exact count: yes
Information shown: surname, forenames, rank, regiment, details of service, place of service
Order of information: surname THEN forename
- First World War (1914-1918)
- Roll of honour
Materials: Wood, Glass
- Roll of honour
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
- ANDERSON, CHARLES / Pte / Royal Scots / June '15 - April '18 / Western / Died of wounds on 16th April, 1918 in No.4 Casualty Clearing Station. Interred in Pernes British Cemetery, Pernes-en-Artois. BAIRD, WILLIAM ARTHUR / Major / Lothian & Border Horse / Aug '14 - Dec '18 / --- / Home Service, Great Britain & Ireland. BLUNT, DUNCAN HAMILTON D.S.O. / Lt. Col. / 1st Devonshire Regiment / From 1914 / Western / Killed on the night of 3rd Oct 1917 when leading his Battn to the attack. Received D.S.O. on the Field, Sept 1916, & was twice mentioned in Despatches. CAVEN, JAMES / Pte / R.A.S.C. M.T. / 2 1/2 Years / France & Belgium / --- COWIE, JOHN P. / Pte / 11th Royal Scots / 6.5.18. to 19.11.19. / Western / --- DODDS, ANDREW M. / Pte / 4th (Res) Royal Scots / 8 months / --- / Home Service, Agriculture Work. DUNN, THOMAS / Pte / A & S Highlanders / 4Yrs 3 1/2 in France / Western / Wounded once in arm, once in leg, also gassed. GEDDES, MARCUS / Pte / 11th Royal Scots / 18 months / Western / --- GLASS, JOHN / Cpl / Royal Engineers / 2 Yrs 9 Months / Western, Lens & Arras / --- GOODALL, THOMAS CLARK / Sergt / Seaforth Highlanders / 11.12.15. to 20.11.19. / --- / --- GORDON, PETER / Pte / Scottish Horse & 1/6 Royal Highlanders / 3 Years / Western / Gunshot Wound 26th Oct 1918. GRIEVE, WILLIAM / L/Cpl / 5th Royal Scots Fusiliers / 10.12.15. to 2.3.19. / Egypt, Palestine, France / Wounded at Gaza 8.11.17. and at Sambria 1.10.18. HENDERSON, ROBERT / L/Cpl / R.A.S.C. M.T. / 3 Yrs 8 Mths / Western / -- HENRY, JAMES CRAIG / Pte / 1st Battn H.L.I. / 30.5.16. to Aug '19 / France & Belgium / --- HERKES, WILLIAM / Pte / 15th Royal Scots / 3 Yrs 62 days / Western, Somme, Arras, Armentieres, Ypres / Gunshot Wound right shoulder & fracture of right arm. HISLOP, NICOL / Pte / 4th (Res) K.O.S.B. / --- / --- / Home Service, Agricultural Work. HOLME, ALEXANDER CHARLES / Lieut / 1st Gloucester Regiment / From Aug 1914 / Cameroons / Killed in Action in the Cameroons 6.9.14. Aged 26. HOLME, BRYAN PERCY / Pte / 1st Lonsdale Battn Border Regt & K.O.R. Lancsters / 7.9.14. to 13.2.19 / France, India, Mesopotamia / --- HOLME, CHRISTOPHER MACHELL /Lieut / July '15 - Jany '18 / Western / Wounded on the Somme 15.9.16. invalided disabled 20.1.18. HOLME, RONALD HENRY PAULL / Lieut / 2nd K.O.S. Borderers / --- / Western / Wounded at Messines 31.10.14. Died of wounds in London 9.11.14. HUTCHISON, WALTER RANKIN / Act/ Cpl / 1/5th & 12th Royal Scots / Aug '14 - Mar '19 / Western / Slight wound March '15. Kick from horse 1916 causing injuries to back. KEOGH, MICHAEL / Pte / 2nd Royal Scots / From Aug 1914 / Western / Reservist. Received bayonet wound on the Aisne Sept '14, was a prisoner in Germany to 11.11.18. KERR, ROBERT / Pte / 2/3 Royal Scots / 11 months / Western / --- KING, WILLIAM / --- / Munitions / --- / --- / Enlisted Royal Naval Ordnance at Crombie 22.4.17. discharged from above 14.12.18. LAW, HUGH / Flight Cadet / (Pilot) Royal Air Force / May '18 - Jan '19 / --- / --- LOGAN, JOHN / Pte / 10th Gordon Highlanders / Dec '14 to 1916 / Western, Hill 70 etc / Was wounded 1916, after lying on the field contracted double pneumonia & died at Bangour Military Hospital, Scotland. LUSK, ROBERT M.A. / Pte / 4th Royal Scots / 29.11.15. - Apr '17 / Egypt & Palestine / Egypt from July '16 taking part in fighting at Hunam ??? reported as wounded and missing, subsequently killed in action 19.4.17. Buried in Military Cemetery, Gaza. MALCOLM, JOHN / Shoeing Smith / Lothian & Border Horse & South Notts Hussars / 4 1/2 Years / Salonica, Palestine, France / --- MALCOLM, THOMAS ALEXANDER / Pte / 8th Seaforth & A & S Highlanders / 3 Years / Western / Shrapnel Wound near Combles 24.3.18. MESTON, JOHN / Pte / 13th Royal Scots / --- / Western / Killed in action 28.10.17. Buried in Wancourt British Cemetery S.E. of Arras, France. Aged 31. MESTON, THOMAS GEORGE / Gunner / 270th Siege Battery R.G.A. / --- / Western / Died in No.10 Casualty Clearing Sta. France. 2.7.17. as a result of wounds. Buried in Lyssentrock [Sic] Military Cemetery, Poperinghe. Aged 23. SCOTT, JOHN / Pte / 12th Royal Scots Fusiliers / 3 Years / Palestine & France / Once wounded, once gassed. SHARP, JAMES WILLIAM / Pte / Motor Machine Gun Corps & Tank Corps / May '15 - Mar '18 / Western / Wounded 24.3.18. and died in Canadian Hospital, Doullens on 25th. Buried in Military Cemetery, Doullens. SHARP, JOHN / Lieut / 8th Royal Scots / Feb '15 - Mar '19 / Western / From 1917 Transport Officer to Battalion and twicw mentioned in Despatches. THOMSON, GEORGE / --- / Royal Field Artillery / From Oct '14 / --- / --- TROTTER, ROBERT / Sapper / Royal Engineers 3rd Corps Signal Coy / Oct '14 - Jan '19 / India & Mesopotamia / Horse Driver R.A.S.C. Oct '14 discharged & rejoined. WALLACE, WILLIAM / Bombr / 3/1st L & B Horse & R.G.A. / 19.7.15. to 19.2.19. / France / --- WATT, THOMAS / Driver / 11th Signal Coy Royal Engineers / Sept '14 - Mar '18 / Dardanelles & France / --- WATT, PETER WILLIAMS / L/Cpl / 1/5th K.O.S.B. / Aug '14 - Jan '17 / --- / Wounded in leg. Accidentally drowned Jany 1917. WHITE, CHRISTOPHER Wm / Pte / 8th Royal Scots Fusiliers / 3.6.16. to 26.12.19. / Salonica / --- WHITE, JAMES MILLER / Pte / 15th Royal Scots / 10.6.16. to 29.3.19. / Western / Twice wounded, shoulder & back, shrapnel, in hospital 21.10.17 to 29.3.19. SHARPE, HELEN LOUISE / --- / R.A.S.C. / --- / --- / Served as Motor Driver in the R.A.S.C. for over a year. Discharged 10.6.19. HOLME, MARGARET C, C.B.E. / --- / Red Cross / 27.3.16. to 3.2.19. / --- / V.A.D. HOLME, THELMA / --- / Red Cross / 1.5.16. to 31.4.19. / --- / V.A.D. STEWART, JEAN / --- / Red Cross / 14.7.18. to 19.2.19. / --- / V.A.D.
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact email@example.com.