At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to memorials@iwm.org.uk for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.

Memorial details

Memorial type
Board / Plaque / Tablet
District
City Of Edinburgh
Town
Muirhouse
County
Lothian
Country
Scotland
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918)
Ceremony
  • Unveiled
    Date: 7 November 1920
    Attended by: Lord Salvesen
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
88895
Current location

42
St Andrew's Church
Pennywell Gardens
Muirhouse
City Of Edinburgh
Lothian
EH4 4PE
Scotland

OS Grid Ref: Undefined
Denomination: Church of Scotland

View location on Google Maps
Previous locations
  • Old Church
    Holyrood Road
    Edinburgh
    City Of Edinburgh
    Lothian
    EH8 8AQ
    Scotland

    OS Grid Ref: Undefined
    Denomination: Church of Scotland
Description
Bronze Plaque on a Carrara marble backboard
Inscription
[names in 4 columns]
Inscription legible?
yes
Names on memorial
Alexander, J
Alexander, W
Allison, Joseph
Anderson, Jn.
Anderson, Wm.
Baillie, Alex.
Bell, Robert
Bird, James
Bird, Peter
Black, Jas.
See details for all 74 names
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 74
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 74
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname, forenames
    Order of information: surname
Components
  • Plaque
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Bronze
  • Backboard
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Marble - Carrara
Condition
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Reference
  • The Scotsman 8th November 1920 WAR MEMORIALS UNVEILED OLD KIRK EDINBURGH LORD SALVESON AND THE CONGREGATIONS GLORIOUS RECORD “Lord Salvesen yesterday forenoon unveiled a memorial in the Old Kirk, Canongate, Edinburgh to the men in the congregation who fell in the Great War. The memorial, which is placed in the vestibule of the church, consists of a bronze tablet mounted on dark grey Carrara marble, and on it are inscribed the names of 74 members who made the supreme sacrifice. The congregation’s Roll of Honour contained the names of 376 of a total membership of 800, and in addition to those who fell, 76 were wounded and 14 taken prisoners of war. The Old Kirk congregation has a remarkable record, being one of the oldest and most historic in Edinburgh. For over 300 years it worshipped in the central portion of St Giles’ Cathedral, until the restoration of the building fifty years ago. The church is now situated in its old parish in the heart of the Old Town. Its first minister was John Knox, and it has played a large part in the ecclesiastical life of Scotland, having given eleven Moderators to the General Assembly. The congregation is gathered from all over the city, and continues to do good work in this populous part of Edinburgh.
  • warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/viewtopic.php?t=8937&sid=0ef3b419fad746c633e71454c3b61431&mforum=warmemscot

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-88895

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.