At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.

Memorial details

Memorial type
Board / Plaque / Tablet
First World War (1914-1918), First World War - civilians
  • Unveiled
    Date: April 1921
    Attended by: Mr. J. A. Gibson
  • Dedicated
    Date: April 1921
    Attended by: Rev. W. B. R. Wilson, minister-emeritus of the congrgation
  • Show More (1)
Not lost
WM Reference
Current location

The Church was known as St Columba's until the 1979 union with West Church
Parish Church
Bridge Street
FK14 7AJ

OS Grid Ref: NS 96334 97960
Denomination: Church of Scotland

View location on Google Maps
Previous locations
  • Until 1929 reunification this was the United Free Church
    Dollar West Church
    Harviestourn Road
    FK14 7HF

    OS Grid Ref: NS 95880 97880
    Denomination: Church of Scotland
Brass Plaque in 3 sections, the dedication panel in the centre, with 2 flanking names panels, on an oak backboard- at the centre base of this backboard is a small brass plaque recording its relocation.
Central Section: IN GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE/OF THOSE/CONNECTED WITH THIS/CONGREGATION WHO FOR/FREEDOM AND RIGHT/GAVE UP THEIR LIVES IN/THE GREAT WAR/and the/REV. ALEXANDER EASTON SPENCE/Minister of this Church/INDUCTED 6TH APRIL 1911/DIED AT COLOGNE ON SERVICE WITH/THE SCOTTISH CHURCHES HUTS/8TH APRIL 1919/"They loved not their lives unto the death" Left Hand Panel: [names Baillie to McDonald Right Hand Panel: [names McLaren to Whyte] Relocation Plaque: This memorial plaque was removed from/ Dollar West Church and installed here/after the union of the West Church/ and St Columba Church 1979
Inscription legible?
Names on memorial
Baillie, Robert
Beveridge, Charles C
Black, Alastair G W
Chaoman, James
Cousins, Isabella
Craighead, John Marr
Dickson, Robert S
England, Alfred Thos.
Hair, Hugh
Lindsay, Alex. C
See details for all 24 names
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 23
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 23
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname, forenames, regiment, decorations
    Order of information: surname
  • First World War - civilians
    Total names on memorial: 1
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 1
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname, forenames, occupation, place of deah, date of death, additional
    Order of information: Undefined
  • Plaque
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Brass
  • Backboard
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Wood - Oak
  • Plaque
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Brass
Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
  • The Scotsman, 12th April 1921 "The memorial erected to the 24 men connected to the congregation who fell in the ar, which takes the form of a handsome brass tablet mounted on oak, was unveiled and dedicated in the presence of a large congregation. The Rev. George Blair, B.D., Ryehill U. F. Church, preached, and Mr. J. A. Gibson unveiled the memorial. The Rev. P. D. Gray read the inscription and names engraved on the tablet, and which included the name of the late pastor of the congrgation, the Rev. A. E. Easton Spence, who died at Cologne while on service with the Scottish Churches Huts. The Rev. W. B. R. Wilson, minister-emeritus of the congrgation, dedicated to memorial.

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-86301

For queries, please contact