At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.

Memorial details

Memorial type
Board / Plaque / Tablet
First World War (1914-1918)
Not lost
WM Reference
Current location

St Joseph's Church
Wilkies Lane
off Blackness Road

OS Grid Ref: NO 39210 30170
Denomination: Roman Catholic

View location on Google Maps
Simple White Marble Tablet with the names in 6 columns, surmounted by a bronze crucifix, below which is a dedication tablet.
Inscription legible?
Names on memorial
Adam, William
Anderson, Charles
Anderson, Laurence
Banks, Peter
Bellingham, John
Bellingham, Thomas
Birmingham, James
Boylan, Francis
Boylan, Peter
Boyle, Joseph
See details for all 238 names
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 238
    Served and returned: 237
    Died: 1
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname, forenames, rank, manner of death, date of death, age
    Order of information: surname THEN forename
  • Tablet
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Marble - White
  • Crucifix
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Bronze
  • Tablet
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Marble - White
Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
  • The following information copied from the Great War Forum- Chaplain from the Diocese of Waterford and Lismore James Shine 11-04-1881-1918 James Shine was born at Ballylaffin youngest child of Thomas Shine and Mary Anglim. James went to school in the local school at Gormanstown and the Master wanted him to remain and be a monitor. James told the master that he wanted to be a priest and the Master beat him up so severely that James never went back to that school. The master at that time was very anti the Catholic religion He was ordained priest on 21st June 1908 at the Holy Trinity Cathedral Waterford, for the Diocese of Waterford and Lismore, by Bishop Alphonsus Sheehan. Fr. James was a very fine tall man who rode to hounds with the local hunt that was unusual for a small Catholic farmer's son at that time. He was sent on loan to the English Mission from 1908 to 1912 and in 1912 he went to Scotland to the Diocese of Dunkeld where he spent the rest of his clerical ministry. The records book for 1913 shows “Father Shine , the curate, has ably assisted Canon Lavelle in the work of the parish”. In 1914 Fr. James was transferred to St. Mary’s Lochee, Dundee and in 1915 he was transferred to St. Joseph’s Dundee. His parish priest at St Joseph’s was Right Rev. Joseph Holder, Vicar General of the Diocese of Dunkeld. Fr. Holder was an old man and he left the work of the Vicar general in the hands of Fr. James. In such position he had to contend with the Government of the day on many diverse matters such as the rights of Catholic Prison Chaplains in Dundee. He was very progressive in that he had his own typewriter that he bought on 28th May 1913. A contemporary account states..... “Perhaps the tallest priest in Scotland, he was a commanding personality, and with his homely, hearty Irish manner he had many friends in Perth, Lochee and St. Joseph’s Dundee, to whom he was attached during his detachment from his native Ireland. He was one of those willing disciples who so readily gave their service to the work of the Scottish Mission and his labours in Dunkeld Diocese were of a valuable and edifying nature”. The Great War was raging in France and Fr. James, who was due to return home to the Waterford and Lismore Diocese, felt that his duty now lay in assisting the men engaged in that Imperial conflict. There was only 17 Catholic Chaplains in the Armed forces at this time. An urgent appeal was made for Chaplains in the Forces and on 7th Oct. 1915 Fr. James and a fellow priest Fr. John Stuart were appointed as Army Chaplains. From then he was Captain The Reverend James Shine, Commissioned into the Royal Army Chaplains Department. His address at that time was 39 Panton Street, Haymarket, Middlesex. On the first of June 1916 he entered France with the Middlesex Regiment. For two years he served in France experiencing the horror of war at first hand. He came home to Ballylaffin on leave of absence during this period. On his way from France he came through Waterford and spent the night in the Ursuline Convent saying Mass next day for the nuns and visiting his aunt Sr. Barbara Anglim. He was a great favourite with the children while on holidays and he used to throw pennies into the air for them to scramble for. Alas his brief visit came to an end and he returned to France never again to see home. His mother Mary fell and broke her hip and died in Feb. 1918 but he did not get home for the funeral. On the ninth of April 1918 Jim Keeling of The Brook, Portrane served Mass for him for the last time. This was at the height of the great German Spring offensive of 1918. The 21st Bn Middlesex regiment was a machine-gun battalion, the cornerstone of the divisional defence and therefore one of the main targets of the German artillery in that sector. Later that day Father James was wounded while ministering to the dying, under fire on the battlefield and was taken to hospital. He died on 21st April 1918 at the Military Hospital, Boulonge, France “Whilst serving as Chaplain , attached to 21st Battalion, Middlesex Regiment, aged 37 years”. The Glasgow Observer of May 4 1918 reports on his death as follows, “Many hearts were sad in Dundee when it was learned that Fr. Shine had died of wounds received in the battlefield while ministering to the wounded and dying. In spirit he heard the voices of his wounded countrymen on the battlefield calling for his spiritual help that only a priest of God can give. So leaving the comparative comfort and security of work at home he answered the call and sought to serve his God and help his fellow man in a very inferno of German lead, where to remain unscathed would be a miracle . Fr. Shine made light of the leaden messengers of death from the reeking mouths of the enemy cannons and calmly knelt at the side of a dying man in order to send his soul clean and undefiled before its God. Injured severely, he lingered for a few days but his sturdy frame was unable to resist the effects of the blow he received. He died a hero’s death.......” The Catholic Record of May 1918 Death of Diocesan Army chaplain.“At the moment of going to press we learn with deep regret that the Rev James Shine died on 21st April from wounds received in the recent fighting in France. Father Shine was a native of the parish of Ballylooby and was ordained in the Cathedral nearly eight years ago. He had been serving on a temporary mission in Dundee when early in the war he volunteered as army chaplain. Father Shine’s death following so soon on that of Father Looby (Cahir), suggests what a self sacrificing and indeed heroic part played by those of our young priests who volunteered as chaplains for the front.” The Catholic Record 0f June 1918. The Late Rev.J. Shine.C.F. The Rev W. Ryan writes to us from the Principal Chaplain’s Office, Boulogne, giving details of Father James Shine’s death. “Poor Father Shine died quiet unexpectedly on Sunday the 21st ult. His wounds, which were very bad, seemed to be healing nicely and in the opinion of the doctors and nurses, there was no reason why he should not recover. I was with him on Sunday morning and gave him Holy Communion. I called to see him again in the afternoon and remained with him till 4p.m. He did not appear to be worse than on the previous days. I came back here and almost immediately I was rung up on the telephone and asked to go back as quickly as possible. When I got back at 4.30 p.m. he was dead. R.I.P. Apparently he went off without a struggle. I had Solemn Requiem Mass for him at St Nicholas’ Parish Church, at which all the priests of the area attended. I was the celebrant: Fr Lane Fox O.S.B, deacon and Father Healy, sub deacon. In the choir- Father Rawlinson (Principal Chaplain), Father Kean, Father McDonald, Father Frail, Father Luch, Father Ahearn, C.SS.R, Father Cagney, C.SS.R, M.le Doyen, M. I’Abbe Dejardin and I’Abbe Cocart. The above were also at the funeral.” Fr. James was buried in Boulogne Eastern Cemetery, Plot 7, Row B, Grave 40. He was awarded the British War medal and The Victory Medal (posthumously). His name is inscribed on the War Memorial in Cahir “ Royal Army Chaplains Department Rev. J. Shine”. His name is recorded on the family stone at Duhill churchyard Co Tipperary “Son Rev James Shine, France, 21April 1918. Aged 37 years.” Note Fr Lane Fox OSB was chaplain to the Irish Guards. He lost his right eye and hand in a bombing accident. He was standing by the Colonel Lord Desmond Fitzgerald watching a bombing practice. The Colonel said "Now Padre, you can have a try”. Fr Lane Fox took a bomb, pulled out the pin and then before the proper time the bomb exploded in his hand, destroying his right eye and hand and killing Lord Desmond Fitzgerald. He also served with the 2nd London Irish of 47th Division and was awarded the Military Cross and the French Medaille Militaire

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-85872

For queries, please contact