previous
next
  • Use this image under non-commercial licence

    This image was created and shared by: Norman Myles (WMO204836)

    The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Norman Myles (WMO204836) (WMR-85086)

    Embed
    HTML: BBCode:

Memorial details

Memorial type
Board / Plaque / Tablet
District
Kirkcaldy
Town
Methil
County
Fife
Country
Scotland
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918)
Maker
Mr J Y Thomson of Leven (Makers)
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
85086
Current location

Wellesley Parish Church
Wellesley Road
Methil
Kirkcaldy
Fife
KY8 3BT
Scotland

OS Grid Ref: NT 36979 99500
Denomination: Church of Scotland

View location on Google Maps
Previous locations
  • behind the Choir seats
    Innerleven East Parish Church
    Methilhaven Road
    Methil
    Kirkcaldy
    Fife
    Scotland

    OS Grid Ref: NO 3719 0027
    Denomination: Church of Scotland
  • MethilEast United Free Church
    Methil
    Kirkcaldy
    Fife
    Scotland

    OS Grid Ref: Undefined
    Denomination: United Free Church
  • Show More (1)
Description
Marble Tablet with a domed head. The tablet is divided into three parts, the centre being the dedication, and the two side panels carrying the names. The epitaph is across the base, and the dates and the words 'United Free' are in the dome head
Inscription
In the Dome- 1814 UNITED FREE 1919 Left Hand Panel-METHIL/[names to Herd] Central Panel-IN/REVERENT/AND/LOVING MEMORY/OF THOSE FROM THIS/CONGREGATION/WHO/GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE/GREAT WAR/FOR THE CAUSE OF/LIBERTY AND RIGHTEOUSNESS Right Hand Panel- CHURCH/[names from Hill]-Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends Across the Base-
Inscription legible?
yes
Names on memorial
Allan, George
Allison, John
Allison, Samuel
Boyd, John
Bryant, Robert
Cooper, John
Fisher, Thomas
Henderson, Alexr.
Herd, David
Herd, William
See details for all 20 names
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 20
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 20
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname, forenames
    Order of information: surname THEN forename
Components
  • Tablet
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Marble
Condition
History
n 2016 War Memorials Trust offered a grant of £3,500 for relocation works. The war memorial had been removed from the former Innerleven East Church by the current building owners and had been given to the new congregation Wellesley Parish Church. The church were keen to put the memorial on display so that it could be used for commemoration. A location within the church was identified, and sections of the lath ans plaster were removed and pockets into the stone work were cut to accommodate the four corbel stones. Stainless steel brackets were then installed to support the marble panels before plaster work was good. At a congregational meeting of the members of the former Methil East Church (resolved in 1922) a decision was taken to erect a marble tablet in the vestibule of the church, as a memorial to members who fell in the Great War. It was decided they should obtain quotes from six sculptors in the area for erecting a War Memorial which would contain 20 names of men of the congregation who had fallen in the Great War. The six sculptors submitted their bids and on May 10th 1922, Mr J Y Thomson from Leven was awarded the job of implementing the design chosen by the committee. The cost of the memorial stone tablet was £67, and was installed in the Methil East UF Church. This tablet was then moved to the new Innerleven East Church formed from the union of Methil East and Innerleven Parish Church. This building was opened in 1942, and the memorial adorned the wall behind the Choir seats in Innerleven East Church. It remained in place after the union of Innerleven East and Methil Parish Church in June 2012, but was removed from this site by the owners of that building and was given to the new congregation.
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Reference

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-85086

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.