At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please upload it via our image upload form for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.

Memorial details

Memorial type
Board / Plaque / Tablet
District
City Of Aberdeen
Town
Aberdeen
County
Grampian
Country
Scotland
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918), Second World War (1939-1945)
Maker
The panel is the work of Mr T. Huxley Jones, the eminent sculptor. (Makers)
This part the war memorial was designed by Mr A. Coutts Youngson of Gray's School of Art. (Designer)
Ceremony
  • Unveiled
    Date: 5th November 1950
    Attended by: The memorial was unveiled by Mrs D. R. Thom and Mr J. M'Phail Massie. both of whom had sons whose names are commemorated.
  • Dedicated
    Date: 12th November 1950
    Attended by: Rev. Matthew Urie Baird
  • Unveiled
    Date: 12th November 1905
    Attended by: Mrs R W. Cameron and Mr J. M'Phail Massie performed the unveiling ceremony.
  • Dedicated
    Date: 5th November 1950
    Attended by: Rev. M. Urie Baird
  • Show More (3)
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
84178

Support the IWM War Memorial Register

Donate with Just Giving

Since 1988 IWM's War Memorials Register has been creating a national register of UK war memorials and the names of the individuals they commemorate. IWM needs your support to ensure that we can add to and maintain our these important records.

Current location

69 - 71
East and Belmont
Albyn and St Pauls Church
School Hill
Aberdeen
City Of Aberdeen
Grampian
AB10 1JD
Scotland

OS Grid Ref: NJ 93880 06290
Denomination: Church of Scotland

View location on Google Maps
Description
From newspaper report. Several churches in close proximity, all(?) of which have now gone so difficult to establish full details. First memorial described as a panel with names of the fallen. The work of Mr T. Huxley Jones, the eminent sculptor which suggests might have been stone. This was to be followed a week later by an oak panel on the East side of the vestibule with three panels - two WW1 and one WW2 names. "This part" (unclear whether that means WW2 only) designed by Mr A. Coutts of Gray's School of Art. Described as the "one of the finest memorials of the kind in the city."
Inscription legible?
yes
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 0
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 0
    Exact count: no
    Information shown: Undefined
    Order of information: Undefined
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
    Total names on memorial: 0
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 0
    Exact count: no
    Information shown: Undefined
    Order of information: Undefined
Components
  • Tablet
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Unknown
  • Triptych
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Wood - Oak
Condition
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Reference

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-84178

For queries, please contact [email protected]