At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please upload it via our image upload form for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.

Memorial details

Memorial type
Board / Plaque / Tablet
District
City Of Aberdeen
Town
Aberdeen
County
Grampian
Country
Scotland
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918)
Ceremony
  • Unveiled
    Date: 19 October 1919
    Attended by: Rev. John Fairlie, minister of the parish.
  • Dedicated
    Date: 19 October 1919
    Attended by: Dr. Bruce McEwen, D. Phil. of Oldmachar Cathedral
  • Show More (1)
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
83989

Support the IWM War Memorial Register

Donate with Just Giving

Since 1988 IWM's War Memorials Register has been creating a national register of UK war memorials and the names of the individuals they commemorate. IWM needs your support to ensure that we can add to and maintain our these important records.

Current location

Wppdside Parish Church (formerly Woodside South Church)
Church Street
Aberdeen
City Of Aberdeen
Grampian
AB24 4DQ
Scotland

OS Grid Ref: NJ 92434 08821
Denomination: Undefined

View location on Google Maps
Description
Black granite tablet in porch of church with name of men belonging to the church who fell in the Great War.
Inscription
[unknown]
Inscription legible?
yes
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 86
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 86
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: Undefined
    Order of information: Undefined
Components
  • Tablet
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Granite - Black
Condition
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Reference
  • Aberdeen Press and Journal - Monday 20 October 1919 www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/BL/0000576/19191020/050/0003?browse=true WOODSIDE LOSSES IN THE WAR. CHURCH MEMORIAL UNVEILED. A memorial tablet to the men belonging to Woodside Parish Church who laid down their Lives in the war was unveiled yesterday forenoon, and the special service which was held was attended by a very large congregation. The tablet, which is of black granite, and is inscribed with the names of 86 men belonging to the church who fell, has been placed on the wall of the porch facing the entrance to the building. The Rev. Bruce M'Ewan, D.PhiL, Oldmachar Cathedral preached from the text, II. Samuel, 1, 19 --- "The beauty of Israel is slain upon thy high places." Amid all the rejoicing that had celebrated the end of the war and the conclusion of peace it was right, he said, to lament their slain. There was no dirge more sad than that of the pipers playing "The Flowers of the Forest" over a Scottish soldier's grave, just because in war, as it was in the days of Flodden Field, it was the young, the light-hearted, the cheery, and the brave that were lost. It was the beauty of Israel that was slain. Who counted the cost when the war began, and how many had oounted it even dead, and man more crippled and wounded. hat it meant was this, that out of the years of this country there were four solid years gone, and all the blitheness them laid low. That memorial tablet of black granite in the porch of the church was to represent not the memory the Great War, but rather the memory of someone near and dear to themselves who served in it. His Majesty the King had given them clear lead in this matter by causing, through the War Office, a memorial to be sent to every bereaved family this country, and these were now in course of distribution. No memorial in London could satisfy the widespread sorrow that this war had caused. Some of them well knew the memorials of by-gone wars at the headquarters of the various regiments. This war differed from the wars of modern times; it returned to the likeness of the wars of Scotland in the days long gone by, for it called out the men of every village and of every parish, and they all went together serve. Therefore no memorial for Scottish soldiers in Edinburgh, or any big memorial for soldiers in Aberdeen, or any record at regimental headquarters was enough. They wanted little local memorials near the homes of the lads who slept in the distant scattered graves that very few would ever visit. A memorial such as that had more than its intrinsic value to-day. It represented here and now the value of lives laid down, and that was greater than figures could reckon, and as the years went on its value would not decrease, but rather increase, for it represented a page of glorious history, and would represent that same page long after their generations had passed away. It would remind those who succeeded how great the price was that Woodside had paid in tie Great War. The tablet was afterwards unveiled the Rev. John Fairlie, minister of the parish, and Dr M'Ewen engaged in the dedicatory prayer. At the conclusion of the service, the Dead March in " Saul" was played on the organ, and the congregation had the opportunity of inspecting the tablet as they left the church.

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-83989

For queries, please contact [email protected]