Memorial details

Memorial type
First World War (1914-1918), Second World War (1939-1945)
Mr Robert Douglas of Messrs Robert Douglas and Sons, sculptors, Airdrie and Dumfries (Designer)
  • Unveiled
    Date: 8 October 1922
    Attended by: Brigadier-General K. J. Kincaid-Smith C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O.
Not lost
WM Reference

Support IWM

Donate with Just Giving

Any gift we receive makes a vital contribution to our ongoing work, from conserving our collection to supporting our public programme.

Current location

Just inside entrance to Cemetery
Polmont North Churchyard
Grange Road

OS Grid Ref: NS 93546 79305
Denomination: Undefined

View location on Google Maps
Previous locations
  • Station Road

    OS Grid Ref: Undefined
    Denomination: Undefined
Obelisk on hexagonal plinth and 3 steps, all of Creetown granite, on a 2 stage Lockerbie sandstone base. The memorial covers these communities- Polmont, California, Redding Muirhead, Wallacestone, Redding, Shieldhill, Westquarter, Brightons and Craigs.
[placenames and names]
Inscription legible?
Names on memorial
Alexander, George A
Anderson, Colin
Anderson, William
Bain, Daniel
Beattie, William
Bennett, Thomas
Bennie, Peter
Binnie, David
Borthwick, Hugh
Borthwick, John
See details for all 151 names
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 113
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 113
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: home town, surname, forenames, rank, decorations
    Order of information: home town THEN rank THEN surname
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
    Total names on memorial: 38
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 38
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: home town, surname, forenames, rank
    Order of information: home town THEN surname
  • Obelisk
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Granite - Creetown
  • Plinth
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Granite - Creetown
  • Base
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Stone - Sandstone
Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
  • Twinspire January 2013 - OLD PARISH OF POLMONT WAR MEMORIAL
  • Falkirk Community Trust - Polmont Old War Memorial
  • Falkirk Herald - Saturday 14 October 1922 UNVEILING OF OLD POLMONT WAR MEMORIAL. BRIGADIER-GENERAL KINCAID SMITH’S TRIBUTE TO THE FALLEN. IMPRESSIVE AND MEMORABLE SCENES AT SUNDAYS CEREMONIAL. (picture) Brigadier-General Kincaid Smith addressing the gathering alter the Unveiling. Synchronising perfectly with its beautiful setting of foliage, resplendent in the tints of autumn, the imposing memorial erected to the memory of the 113 men belonging to ihe parish of Old Polmont, who fell in the war, was unveiled by Brigadier-General K. J. Kincaid Smith, C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O., on Sunday afternoon. The solemn and deeply impressive ceremonial which marked the occasion was witnessed by a crowd of several thousands of people, who joined whole-heartedly in the devotional part of the proceedings. In addition to the large representation of the general public, the service was also attended by a very large number ex-service men, and numerous Masonic and other bodies. A more ideal day for the purpose could scarcely have been conceived, there being just sufficient freshness in the air to prevent discomfort in the great gathering which congregated, wherever room could be found round the memorial. OLD POLMONT’S TRIBUTE. Erected in the Polmont Station Road, at a point immediately opposite the bowling green, the memorial, which takes the form of a wayside shrine, is of most artistic conception. The centre-piece stands some feet above the level of tile roadway, and is in the shape of a beautiful hexagonal column constructed of Creetown silver-grey granite. Six panels bear the names of the fallen, and above these are canopies each containing an ornamental bronze wreath. Surmounting, in letters of black, corresponding to those in which the names are executed is the simple inscription "This memorial was erected in grateful memory of the men who made the supreme sacrifice in the Great Wax, 1914-1919.” At each of the four corners of the shrine is pedestal on which is mounted a lion rampant, with shield. The lions are executed in Lockerbie red stone, this serving to emphasise the purity of the granite monument which represents the Trinity. Enclosing the shrine is railing, with a gate and stair leading to the monument, through which the wayfarer may pass to do homage to the fallen brave. Designed by Mr Robert Douglas, of Messrs Robert Douglas and Sons, sculptors, Airdrie and Dumfries, the memorial is a model of its kind, and reflects great credit upon the artist. …….
  • Falkirk Herald - Saturday 07 October 1922 SATURDAY, OLD PARISH OF POLMONT WAR MEMORIAL UNVEILING & DEDICATION, TO-MORROW (SUNDAY), 8th OCTOBER, at 2.30 p.m The UNVEILING CEREMONY will be performed BYBrigadier-General K. J. KINCAID SMITH, C.B., C.M.G.. D.S.O.
  • Glasgow Herald 9 October 1922, which states they were 112 names!

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-83353

For queries, please contact [email protected].