At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to memorials@iwm.org.uk for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.

Memorial details

Memorial type
Board / Plaque / Tablet
District
North East Fife
Town
Newburgh
County
Fife
Country
Scotland
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918)
Ceremony
  • Unveiled
    Date: 26 March 1922
    Attended by:
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
76801
Current location

Parish Kirk
Cupar Road
Newburgh
North East Fife
Fife
KY14 6AW
Scotland

OS Grid Ref: NO 24002 18319
Denomination: Church of Scotland

View location on Google Maps
Previous locations
  • St Katherine's Church
    junction of Abbey Road and Cupar Road
    Newburgh
    North East Fife
    Fife
    Scotland

    OS Grid Ref: Undefined
    Denomination: Scottish Episcopal
Description
Brass Plaque in oak frame. The memorial also included a peal of bells
Inscription
1914 ERECTED ALONG WITH 1919/THE PEAL OF BELLS IN/THE TOWER TO THE GLORY OF GOD GIVER/OF LIFE IMMORTAL AND IN GRATEFUL MEMORY/OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH WHO FELL IN/THE GREAT WAR/[names in 2 columns]/"AND ANOTHER BOOK WAS OPENED WHICH/IS THE BOOK OF LIFE" REV XX.12
Inscription legible?
yes
Names on memorial
Adams, Alexander
Aitken, John
Anderson, Alexander
Angus, James
Birrell, David
Blyth, James
Blyth, James
Blyth, William
Bruce, George
Clark, James
See details for all 71 names
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 71
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 71
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname, forenames
    Order of information: surname
Components
  • Plaque
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Brass
  • Frame
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Wood
  • Bells
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Undefined
Condition
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Sponsorship
Private
Details: Mr T S Greig
Reference
  • (Glasgow Herald 27th March 1922) "The war memorial peal of bells gifted to Newburgh Parish Church by Mr T.S. Greig, Newburgh, were rung for the first time yesterday after the service conducted by the Rev. Dr John Smith, Partick, at which a mural tablet containing the names of 71 men of the parish who fell in war was unveiled. The Rev H.Y. Arnott, minister of the parish, also took part in the ceremony."

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-76801

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.