At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to [email protected] for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.

Memorial details

Memorial type
Board / Plaque / Tablet
District
City Of Edinburgh
Town
Edinburgh
County
Lothian
Country
Scotland
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918)
Ceremony
  • Unveiled
    Date: 23 January 1923
    Attended by: Colonel Young CBE, DL, Chairman of Edinburgh Parish Council
  • Dedicated
    Date: 23 January 1923
    Attended by: Right Revd Dr Wallace Williamson
  • Show More (1)
Lost
Lost
WM Reference
76468
Previous locations
  • Edinburgh City Poorhouse
    Glenlockhart Road
    Edinburgh
    City Of Edinburgh
    Lothian
    NT 235 700
    Scotland

    OS Grid Ref: Undefined
    Denomination: Undefined
Description
Brass Plaque on oak backboard
Inscription
[unknown]
Inscription legible?
yes
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 0
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 0
    Exact count: no
    Information shown: Undefined
    Order of information: Undefined
Components
  • Plaque
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Brass
  • Backboard
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Wood - Oak
Condition
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Reference
  • warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/viewtopic.php?t=4015&mforum=warmemscot
  • The Scotsman 24 January 1923- POORHOUSE MEMORIAL UNVEILED Colonel Young, C.B.E., D.L., Chairman of Edinburgh Parish Council, unveiled yesterday afternoon the memorial tablet to staff and inmates of Edinburgh City Poorhouse who fell in the recent war. The ceremony, which took place in the dining hall of the institution, was performed in the presence of a large gathering of inmates and guests. The tablet, which is of brass upon an oak panel, has been placed in a recess behind the platform of the hall. Above a suitable inscription the Royal monograms are intertwined, and underneath these is a replica of the city arms. Among those present were Mr Adam W. Scott (chairman), Lord Provost Hutchison, Major Huie, and members of the Parish Council. Colonel Young, in performing the ceremony, said that from among the staff 16 men went out on service, and of these 6 made the supreme sacrifice. Among the other men who at one time or another, had found a home in Craiglockhart the Governor had traced over 100 who were on service. Of these at least 30 paid the same price. Many of those who were claimed as being connected with Craiglockhart were Reservists, and had the honour of belonging to that glorious Army they proudly described as "Old Contemptibles." It was on the Marne that Germany lost the war, and to that end men belonging to Craiglockhart contributed. The dedicatory prayer was given by the Right Rev. Dr Wallace Williamson, while a wreath was placed at the foot of the memorial by the Very Rev. Canon J. Forsyth. Before the ceremony, Colonel Young inspected a guard of honour of the 1st Territorial Cadet Battalion Royal Scots, which were present during the ceremony.

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-76468

For queries, please contact [email protected]