Use this image under non-commercial licence
This image was created and shared by: Doug Ireland
The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Doug Ireland (WMR-72637)
- Headstone situated in raised flower bed in main shopping street of town at entrance to Car Park.
- (Picture of Lancaster bomber)/THIS STONE HAS BEEN ERECTED BY THE PEOPLE/OF HALESWORTH IN GRATITUDE FOR THE BRAVERY/OF FLYING OFFICER D.W. FIELD AND HIS CREW OF/AVRO LANCASTER JB 652 "A" APPLE No 7 SQUADRON/(PATHFINDERS) RAF OAKINGTON// ON THE NIGHT OF 20th DECEMBER 1943, FLYING OFFICER/DONALD WILLIAM FIELD AND HIS CREW, CAME UNDER HEAVY/ATTACK ON A NIGHT RAID TO FRANKFURT, FORCING THEM/TO RETURN WITH A FULL BOMB LOAD WHICH THEY WERE UNABLE/TO JETTISON OWING TO DAMAGE TO THE HYDRAULIC SYSTEM./THE PILOT STRUGGLED FOR OVER TWO HOURS WITH THE/STRICKEN AIRCRAFT BEFORE ORDERING HIS CREW TO BALE/OUT RESULTING IN THE DEATH OF WARRANT OFFICER/RICHARD BRADLEY SMITH DFC, WHOSE PARACHUTE FAILED/TO OPEN, FLYING OFFICER FIELD BATTLED TO KEEP HEIGHT/AND VALIANTLY STEERED HIS AIRCRAFT AWAY FROM THE/POPULATED AREA OF HALESWORTH. HE BALED OUT AT A/HEIGHT OF ONLY 800 FEET JUST BEFORE THE AIRCRAFT/CRASHED INTO THE COUNTRYSIDE BETWEEN WISSETT AND/CHEDISTON. HIS COURAGE AND TENACITY SAVED HALESWORTH/FROM SEVERE DAMAGE AND LARGE LOSS OF LIFE BY THE/HUGE BOMB LOAD THE AIRCRAFT WAS CARRYING.// THE CREW OF "A" APPLE WERE/ PILOT F/O DONALD WILLIAM FIELD DFC/ FLIGHT ENGINEER SGT. PETER KOFOED/ AIR BOMBER F/SGT. TOMMY KELLY CGM., DFM/ WIRELESS OPERATOR SGT. ROBERT CRAWLEY/ MID-UPPER GUNNER SGT. GEORGE ARMSTRONG/ REAR GUNNER W/O RICHARD BRADLEY SMITH DFC//
- Inscription legible?
- Names on memorial
- Armstrong, George
Field, Donald William
Smith, Richard Bradley
See details for all 6 names
- Second World War (1939-1945)
Total names on memorial: 6
Served and returned: 5
Exact count: yes
Information shown: Position in crew, rank, forenames, surname, decorations date of death
Order of information: rank
- Second World War (1939-1945)
Measurements: height 65cm, width 35cm
Materials: Black marble
- Listing information
- This memorial is not currently listed. Find out how to nominate this memorial for inclusion on the National Heritage List for England
- More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
- Halesworth Town Council
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.