Use this image under non-commercial licence
This image was created and shared by: Gill Brookes (Barnsley War Memorials Project)
The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Gill Brookes (Barnsley War Memorials Project) (WMR-71317)
- Memorial type
- Board / Plaque / Tablet
- South Yorkshire
Date: 19 April 1925
Attended by: Colonel Comandant Renny, C.M.C., D.S.O., Bishop of Wakefield, Mayor of Barnsley Councillor G.F. Wood, Town Clerk A.D. Mason, Chief Constable G.H. Butler, Major Rideal D.S.O. commanding Barnsley Detachment of 5th Y&L Regiment
- Not lost
- WM Reference
- A bronze coloured plaque with raised lettering in a broad painted white frame. It commemorates 8,814 men of the York and Lancaster Regiment who fell in WW1.
- TO THE EVERLASTING / HONOUR AND / GLORY OF THE 8,814 OFFICERS / NON-COMMISSIONED /OFFICERS AND MEN / OF THE / YORK & LANCASTER / REGIMENT WHO FELL / IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914 - 1919 //
- Inscription legible?
- Listing information
- This memorial is not currently listed. Find out how to nominate this memorial for inclusion on the National Heritage List for England
- More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
- Barnsley Chronicle 4 April 1925 Notice of Service to Unveil Memorial on 19th April.
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.