previous
next
  • Use this image under non-commercial licence

    This image was created and shared by: Joseph Ritson

    The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Joseph Ritson (WMR-69251)

    Embed
    HTML: BBCode:
  • Use this image under non-commercial licence

    This image was created and shared by: Stuart Nicholson

    The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Stuart Nicholson (WMR-69251)

    Embed
    HTML: BBCode:

Memorial details

Memorial type
Board / Plaque / Tablet
District
South Lakeland
Town
Ambleside
County
Cumbria
Country
England
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918)
Maker
BS Harlow of Stockport (Founder / Foundry)
William Gershom Collingwood (Designer)
Miss Barbara Collingwood (Designer)
Benson Walker of Cockermouth (Undefined)
Ceremony
  • Unveiled
    Date: 8 June 1924
    Attended by: Dr Arthur Wakefield, Club President
  • Dedicated
    Date: 8 June 1924
    Attended by: Rev JH Smith of Huddersfield, FRCC Member
  • Show More (1)
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
69251
Current location

Upstairs
left hand part of the library
Armitt Library
Rydal Road
Ambleside
South Lakeland
Cumbria
LA22 9AN
England

OS Grid Ref: NY 37604 04730
Denomination: Undefined

View location on Google Maps
Description
Dedicatory bronze plaque with relief of the area depicted at the top of the plaque. NOTE- While the permanent home of this memorial is at The Armitt, as stated, it has been peripatetic for several years, moving round the county to a number of venues. This is still the case in April 2019, so anyone who wishes to view the memorial is advised to contact The Armitt, to ascertain it's current location.
Inscription
FELL & ROCK CLIMBING CLUB/ IN GLORIOUS & HAPPY MEMORY OF THOSE/ WHOSE NAMES ARE INSCRIBED BELOW -/ MEMBERS OF THE CLUB - WHO DIED FOR/ THEIR COUNTRY IN THE EUROPEAN WAR/ 1914 - 1918. THESE FELLS WERE ACQUIRED/ BY THEIR FELLOW-MEMBERS & BY THEM/ VESTED IN THE NATIONAL TRUST FOR/ THE USE & ENJOYMENT OF THE PEOPLE/ OF OUR LAND FOR ALL TIME:-/ (NAMES)
Inscription legible?
yes
Names on memorial
Abadie, R
Abadie, Richard
Abbay, Marmaduke John Norman
Abbot, E
Abbot, William
Abbott, Arthur
Abbott, Bernard
Abbott, Charles
Abbott, Charles
Abbott, Edgar
See details for all 15103 names
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 20
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 20
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname, initials of forenames
    Order of information: surname
Components
  • Plaque
    Measurements: depth 10mm, height 910mm, width 460mm
    Materials: Bronze
Listing information
Condition
History
This old plaque was removed on 10th July 2013 by the Royal Engineeers. A replacement plaque (see WMA 3961) was installed September 2013, also by the Royal Engineers.
Costs

Site: £400
Comments: Deeds for the land received at the FRCC Club Annual Dinner on 13/10/1923. The land was then vested in the National Trust

Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Sponsorship
Public
Details: Funds raised by subscription from FRCC members who gave 16.2 hectares of local fell land to the National Trust including most of Great Gable in memory of their 20 members who died in the Great War. 1926 extension area funded by Sir Albert Wynn
Reference
  • 42 page booklet produced by the club in August 2014 with much detail about the memorial and the casualties- available from the club and the Armitt museum
  • Western Front Association Bulletin, no 89, February/March 2011 p31
  • West Cumberland Times 30 June 1926 page 1e-for the extension area
  • West Cumberland Times 11 June 1924 page 3a-b
  • West Cumberland Times 7 June 1924 page 3c
  • West Cumberland Times 17 October 1923 page 1h
  • FRCC Journal 1922-1924 pages 365-368 which includes a detailed map of the land which was part of the memorial scheme (at Armitt Library)
  • Whitehaven Archives reference DWM 251/194- Letter (dated 27 September 1921) from The Fell & Rock Climbing Club asking if the Musgrave Estate [the Trustees of the Estate of John Musgrave of Wasdale Hall and 2 Lowther Street, Whitehaven, died 1912] will sell the fells at the Head of Wasdale, especially Great Gable, for a Fell & Rock Ckub members War Memorial

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-69251

For queries, please contact [email protected]