At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to email@example.com for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.
- Chamfered obelisk with ball flower ornament and plum of feathers finial, originally golden, on octagonal base with quatrefoils in turn on a square and enclosed by cast iron railings in the form of crossed muskets.
- FRONT: MINDEN. EGYPT. CORUNNA. MARTINIQUE. ALBUERA. BADAJOZ. SALAMANCA. / VITTORIA. PYRENEES. NIVELLE. ORTHES. / TOULOUSE. PENINSULA . WATERLOO. SEBASTOPOL. CRIMEA. / SACRED / TO THE MEMORY OF THE OFFICERS AND SOLDIERS / OF THE "ROYAL WELSH FUSILIERS," / WHOSE NAMES ARE INSCRIBED ON THE ADJOINING TABLETS, WHO FELL IN THE SERVICE / OF THEIR COUNTRY DURING THE WAR WITH RUSSIA, IN 1874, AND 1855. / THIS MONUMENT WAS ERECTED A.D. 1858, / AS AN ENDURING RECORD OF THE GALLANT DECEASED, BY THE OFFICERS THEN SERVING / OR WHO HAD SERVED IN THE CORPS. / "FEAR NOT THEM WHICH KILL THE BODY, BUT ARE NOT ABLE TO KILL THE SOUL." / ST. MATT.X.28. NORTH SIDE: ALMA / "NEC ASPERA TERRENT" / ALMA, SEPT. 20, 1854 - [NAMES] WEST SIDE: INKERMAN. TRENCHES. / INKERMAN, NOV. 5TH, 1854 [NAMES] / IN TRENCHES BEFORE SEBASTOPOL, 1854 AND 1855 [NAMES] / OF DISEASE DURING THE WAR [ NAMES] SOUTH SIDE: REDAN. / "ICH DIEN." / REDAN, SEPT. 8, 1855
- Inscription legible?
- Crimean War (1853-1856)
Total names on memorial: 313
Served and returned: 0
Exact count: no
Information shown: surname,rank,year died,regiment,place of death
Order of information: rank
- Crimean War (1853-1856)
Measurements: height 32 FT
Materials: Stone - Portland
Materials: Marble - White
- 23rd Royal; Welsh Fusiliers Crimean War
- WMO ID: 224427
- Condition: Good [last updated on 05-02-2016]
- Help update these details if the condition is wrong
- Because of erosion of names, tablets of white marble replaced the original inscriptions in Oct. 1860GRADE II LISTED BY CADW, 19 MAY 1981 REF NO 9474
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
- CARMARTHEN AND ITS NEIGHBOURHOOD by SPURRELL W. 57-59 Source: Image Library EXTRACT WITH FILE
- Illustrated London News 4 Dec. 1858 p.519
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.