At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to memorials@iwm.org.uk for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.

Memorial details

Memorial type
Gate
District
Islwyn
Town
Hafodyrnus
County
Gwent
Country
Wales
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918)
Ceremony
  • Unveiled
    Date: 1920
    Attended by: UNKNOWN
  • Unknown
    Date: 30 June 1996
    Attended by: UNKNOWN
  • Show More (1)
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
6804
Current location

On a recreational ground
PARK GATES
Hafodyrnus
Islwyn
Gwent
Wales

OS Grid Ref: ST 22000 99000
Denomination: Undefined

View location on Google Maps
Description
cast iron monument black gates, spiked black railing with gold tops and centered plaques of dedication on each opening gate.
Inscription legible?
yes
Names on memorial
Barkwell, J F
Brown, E
Carter, A
Charles, G
Cousins, N
Cross, S
Davies, A I
Davies, L
Edwards, W Ll
Elias, F
See details for all 29 names
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 24
    Served and returned: Undefined
    Died: 24
    Exact count: no
    Information shown: surname,rank,regiment,forename
    Order of information: Undefined
Components
  • Gates
    Measurements: width 11FT
    Materials: Cast Iron
Condition
History
REFURBISHED 1996
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Reference
  • Newspaper cutting, of which paper it is from it is clipped to disallow such recognition, as well as the article publish date, but it must be within days of the rededication ceremony which is detailed below. It reads as follows: 'A crowd of up to 300 people gathered to witness a ceremony to rededicate Hafodyrynys' war memorial on Sunday. (We now know the gates were reconsecrated June 30th 1996) The 11 foot cast iron monument has been restored after repairs were carried out, over two years, after it began to decay. Fundraising was carried out by the Village's Residents Association through sponsored walks, raffles, barbecues and other events. The monument, put up in 1920, commemorates 24 local men who lost their lives in the 1914-1918 conflict. Plans are now underway to commemorate local lives in the second world war. Residents Association chairman Andrew Lewis said: "It feels great to have the memorial back in place. It's a natural focus and the village didn't feel complete without it." The refurbishment cost £5000, helped by local donations, and was completed by Gwent Mechanical Handling.'

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-6804

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.