previous
next
  • Use this image under non-commercial licence

    This image was created and shared by: Mark Newton 04.07.2017

    The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Mark Newton 04.07.2017 (WMR-66625)

    Embed
    HTML: BBCode:
  • Use this image under non-commercial licence

    This image was created and shared by: Richard Hill (WMO 147239)

    The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Richard Hill (WMO 147239) (WMR-66625)

    Embed
    HTML: BBCode:
  • Use this image under non-commercial licence

    This image was created and shared by: Richard Hill (WMO 147239)

    The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Richard Hill (WMO 147239) (WMR-66625)

    Embed
    HTML: BBCode:

Memorial details

Memorial type
Chapel: Dedicated within church building
District
Gloucester
Town
Leckhampton
County
Gloucestershire
Country
England
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918), Second World War (1939-1945)
Maker
R. L. Boulton & Sons (Carpenter)
Ceremony
  • Dedicated
    Date: 03 December 1919
    Attended by: The Lord Bishop of the Diocese performed the dedication of the Chapel
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
66625
Current location

South transept
St Philip and St James Church
Grafton Street
Leckhampton
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
GL50 2DL
England

OS Grid Ref: SO 94444 21113
Denomination: Church of England

View location on Google Maps
Description
A memorial chapel with an oak altar and altar rails. Two oak panels (with Perpendicular tracery), either side of the altar, bear the names of the fallen in raised lettering.
Inscription
TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND/ IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF/ THIS PARISH WHO DIED IN/ THE GREAT WAR 1914-1919/ (NAMES)/ 1939 - 1945/ (NAMES)
Inscription legible?
yes
Names on memorial
Barrett, W V
Beale, R A
Boyce, C W
Brodie, P W
Brodie, T S
Burcher, A E
Carles, A J
Chester- Master, R C
Clark, L H H
Collins, M J B
See details for all 44 names
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 40
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 40
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: Initials, surname, decorations, rank, military unit
    Order of information: Mainly alphabetical by surname
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
    Total names on memorial: 4
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 4
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: Initials, surname, decorations, rank, military unit
    Order of information: Undefined
Components
  • Chapel
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Stone
  • Plaques / Panels with names
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Wood - Oak
Listing information
  • Church of St Philip and St James with boundary wall and gates
  • Grade II*
  • This memorial is protected, and listed on the National Heritage List for England maintained by Historic England. View list entry
  • More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
  • Historic England
Condition
History
At the time the memorial panels bearing the casualties' names was dedicate, it was reported that they bore "nearly 40" names. As there are now 40 WW1 names listed upon them, at least one further name was subsequently added. (It is believed the additional person was G.N. Gastrell, whose name is out of alphabetical order, and appears to have been carved at a slightly different time). After the Second World War, the names of four casualties from that War were added to the right -hand panel.
Costs

Comments: In 1919 the conversion of the south transept into a Memorial Chapel was carried out by Messrs R. L Boulton & Sons, who made the altar, altar rails and panels bearing the names of parishioners who had died in World War 1; all were constructed from English oak. On 4/12/1919 the Gloucestershire Echo reported that the Chapel had been dedicated the previous day, and commented that, in order to complete the work by adding a new reredos, "at least £100 beyond the £400 already expended will be required".
Memorial: c£400

Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Responsibility
Church of England
Reference
  • The Gloucestershire Echo reported on 5/9/1919 that a faculty had been granted for the erection of a war memorial in Leckhampton: "To the Rev. K. A. H. Hay. vicar SS. Philip and James, to convert the south-eastern corner of the church into a war memorial chapel, involving the re-arrangement of the seats and flooring and the provision of a small altar, with altar rails, and the fixing of oak panels to the wall each side of the altar, bearing the names of the fallen in raised lettering, the lower part of the panel to form a frontal case. The cost will be defrayed by subscriptions". (A report of the dedication of the newly-created memorial chapel in the south transept was printed on page 3 of the Gloucestershire Echo on 4/12/1919. www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0000320/19191204/024/0003 )
  • The Cheltenham War Memorial Archive website's record of this memorial can be found at the following website: remembering.cheltenhamremembers.org.uk/st_phillips_memorial-2 . It records the other known locations where casualties named on the Parish memorial are also commemorated (including Gloucestershire Constabulary's former Chief Constable Richard Chester Chester-Master, who is commemorated on a separate plaque within the Church - see our reference 93510, and also on the Cirencester War Memorial. He is also named on the Gloucestershire Constabulary's WW1 memorials).
  • The War Memorials Trust's reference for the WW1 memorial panels is WMO 147239, see www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/147239
  • St Philip and St James Church itself is Listed Grade II* by Historic England, under reference 1245772, see historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1245772
  • On 5/1/1924 the Cheltenham Chronicle's review of the previous year mentioned that the Bishop of Gloucester had dedicated the new reredos at St Philip and St James on 18/12/1923. www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0000518/19240105/052/0007
  • On 31/7/1923 the Gloucester Citizen announced that a faculty had been granted at the Consistorial Court "To the Rev. Richard Arthur Hay Hay, perpetual curate of the parish of St. Philip and St. James, Leckhampton, to erect a reredos in the war memorial chapel of the church, to consist of a painting of the supper at Emmaus by Mr. Eadie Reid. enclosed in a framework of carved oak designed by Mr. L. W. Barnard. The present oak panels hearing the names of the fallen, will be slightly raised. The proposed inscription is "In loving memory of Rowland and Emma Robinson, 'In sure and certain hope of the Resurrection.' " The cost of the work will be defrayed by Miss F. Robinson and Mrs. O. M. Williams" (www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0000325/19230731/043/0005 )

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-66625

For queries, please contact [email protected]