At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.
- A brass model of a submarine in a display case accompanied by plaques. The submarine is an accurately engineered scale model of Britain's first naval Submarine RN Holland 1. The brass and glass case is mounted on an oak cabinet and three brass plaques bear the incised inscriptions in different styles of roman lettering.
- Plaque a: RN HOLLAND No1/ BRITAIN'S FIRST SUBMARINE/ Built by VICKERS, SON & MAXIM Barrow-in-Furness/ LAUNCHED 2ND OCTOBER 1901 COMPLETED 2ND FEBRUARY 1903 Plaque b: Presented to/ THE CITY OF DERBY/ 23rd APRIL 2004 IN HONOUR OF/ JOHN WILLIAM KERSHAW POPE RN/ Derby's first Submariner and Crew Member/ RN HOLLAND No1 and No3 Plaque c: MODEL RN HOLLAND No. 1/ Presented to the City of Derby, 23rd April 2004/ Commissioned by Trevor Williamson in honour of his/ Grandfather, John William Kershaw Pope RN,/ Derby's first Submariner/ Project Manager: Anthony V. Pope, C.Eng., MIEE/ Pope Machinery Ltd., Derby/ Manufacturing Engineer: Peter W. Walster/ Toton, Nottinghamshire
- Inscription legible?
- Non-Combat Deaths
Total names on memorial: 1
Served and returned: 1
Exact count: yes
Information shown: surname,regiment,forename,additional
Order of information: Undefined
- Non-Combat Deaths
Measurements: depth 150mm, height 300mm, width 800mm
Measurements: depth 150mm, height c30mm, width 800mm
Materials: Wood - Oak
Measurements: depth 2mm, height 60mm, width 290mm
Measurements: depth 550mm, height 1420mm, width 1110mm
Materials: Brass, Wood - Oak, Glass
- Listing information
- This memorial is not currently listed. Find out how to nominate this memorial for inclusion on the National Heritage List for England
- More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
- Other website US Naval War College Museum website has a description and an image. navalwarcollegemuseum.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/artifact-spotlight-brass-model-of-hms.html
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact email@example.com.