Use this image under non-commercial licence
This image was created and shared by: Hackney Gazette
The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Hackney Gazette (WMR-63333)
- Blue coloured plaque with dedicatory inscription. A Star of David centred above inscription. White lettering
- This plaque commemorates the 40th/ anniversary of the murder by terrorists of 11 Israeli/ athletes at the 20th Olympiad in Munich in/ September 1972. They came to pay homage to the/ Games but paid with their lives. Never again/ (Names)/ Unveiled by Eric Pickles MP Ssecretary of State for/ Communities and Local Government): The Mayor of London/ Boris Johnson: Ben Helfgott (British Olympian 1956 and 1960 Games): and Mr Efraim Singer (Chair, Israel Olympic committee). In the/ presence of Members of both Houses of Parliament and many local/ national and international dignitaries, at the London Olympics/ July 2012 Hebrew inscription translation: "He makes my feet like the feet of an antelope and I am able/ to stand on the heights" (Psalms 18:34) "Initiated by Cllr Linda Kelly and Martin Sugarman, and donated by an anonymous benefactor and the Reuben Foundation"
- Inscription legible?
- Terrorist Acts
Total names on memorial: 11
Served and returned: 0
Exact count: yes
Information shown: surname,forename
Order of information: surname
- Terrorist Acts
- Listing information
- This memorial is not currently listed. Find out how to nominate this memorial for inclusion on the National Heritage List for England
- More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
- Jewish Chronicle P4/27-07-2012 Ps 1 and 2 03-08-2012 Also reported in the Jewish News 26-07-2012
- Other website tinyurl.com/cqspu4c
- Other website tinyurl.com/cq7n6f
- Our Blog ukniwm.wordpress.com/2012/09/11/forty-years-on-a-memorial-is-erected-to-the-israeli-athletes-killed-at-the-1972-munich-olympics/
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.