At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to email@example.com for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.
- Sculpted figure of Captain Robert Falcon Scott wearing arctic weather clothing and fur gloves. Scott stands looking straight head and in his right hand he holds an alpenstock to which is fixed a snow basket. At his waist, attached to his belt, is a rectangular pack bag. Figure is mounted on a plinth. The inscription is on a plaque attached to the front of the plinth.
- Plaque: ROBERT FALCON SCOTT/ CAPTAIN ROYAL NAVY/ WHO WITH FOUR COMPANIONS/ E. A. WILSON, H. R. BOWERS, L. E. G. OATES, E. EVANS/ DIED MARCH 1912 RETURNING FROM THE SOUTH POLE/ 'HAD WE LIVED I SHOULD HAVE HAD A TALE TO TELL/ OF THE HARDIHOOD ENDURANCE AND COURAGE/ OF MY COMPANIONS, WHICH WOULD HAVE STIRRED/ THE HEART OF EVERY ENGLISHMAN/ THESE ROUGH NOTES AND OUR DEAD BODIES MUST TELL THE TALE'/ FROM SCOTT'S DIARY Plinth: ERECTED BY OFFICERS OF THE FLEET
- Inscription legible?
- Non-Combat Deaths
Total names on memorial: 5
Served and returned: 0
Exact count: yes
Information shown: surname,rank,year died,regiment,manner of death
Order of information: Undefined
- Non-Combat Deaths
- Listing information
- This memorial is not currently listed. Find out how to nominate this memorial for inclusion on the National Heritage List for England
- More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
- LONDON'S OPEN AIR STATUARY by GLEICHEN p22-23 Source: Image Library Published:LONGMAN'S, GREEN & CO 1928 LONDON
- Self Portrait of an Artist: From the Diaries and Memoirs of Lady Kennet, Kathleen Lady Scott by Kathleen Scott p30, 1949 Published:John Murray 1949 London
- The Times 31 July 1914 p11, col f; 6 Nov 1915, p11, col E
- LONDON STATUES: A GUIDE TO LONDONS OUTDOOR STATUES AND SCULPTURE by BYRON, A p191, 1981 Source: Image Library NIWM Published:CONSTABLE 1981 LONDON
- Published:Oxford University Press 2004 R F Scott (1868-1912)
- Buildings of England series by Various 2003 Westminster
- Our Blog ukniwm.wordpress.com/2012/03/29/non-combat-death-the-case-of-captain-robert-falcon-scott-and-the-british-antarctic-expeditionary-team/
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.