Use this image under non-commercial licence
This image was created and shared by: Mike Coyle
The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Mike Coyle (WMR-61746)
- Stone Tablet with elaboarate decoration and two pillars each side of inscription. Associated brass tablets.
- This Monument / is erected by command of/ HER MAJESTY QUEEN VICTORIA/ to record the heroic constancy and unbroken/ discipline shewn by Lieutenant-Colonel Seton/ 74th Highlanders and the Troops embarked under his/ command on board the Birkenhead when that Vessel was/ wrecked off the Cape of GOOD-HOPE on the 26th. Feby. 1852/ and to preserve the memory of the Officers/ Non-Commissioned Officers & Men, who perished on that occasion./ Their names were as follows./ (Names)/ In all three hundred & fifty-seven Officers and men. The names of / the Privates will be found on brass plates adjoining
- Inscription legible?
- Non-Combat Deaths
Total names on memorial: 357
Served and returned: 0
Exact count: yes
Information shown: surname,rank,regiment
Order of information: rank,regiment
- Non-Combat Deaths
- Plaques / Panels with names
- Listing information
- This memorial is not currently listed. Find out how to nominate this memorial for inclusion on the National Heritage List for England
- More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
- THE IRISH SWORD Vol. 2 pp. 360-363 (1954-56). Source: Link Library
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact [email protected]