At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to memorials@iwm.org.uk for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.

Memorial details

Memorial type
Arch
District
Birmingham
Town
Birmingham
County
West Midlands
Country
England
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918)
Maker
A G Anderson (Architect)
James Moffat and Sons (Mason)
Ceremony
  • Unveiled
    Date: 13 June 1921
    Attended by: Local Clergy/Dignitaries
  • Dedicated
    Date: 13 June 1921
    Attended by: Local Clergy/Dignitaries
  • Show More (1)
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
61722
Current location

King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Boys
Vicarage Road
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands
B14 7QJ
England

OS Grid Ref: SP 067 814
Denomination: Undefined

View location on Google Maps
Previous locations
  • King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Boys
    Stratford Road
    Birmingham
    B11 1AR

    OS Grid Ref: SP 083 855
    Denomination: Undefined
Description
Originally an arched gateway was erected at the Camp Hill site, with triangular shouldered pediment and dentil cornice. The arch featured a pointed internal arch with decorative stone label and decorative cast gates. Two plaques with names were originally attached to the side of the gates facing the school. A raised inscription panel with the dates was surmounted by a shield on the front road-side face of arch. The name plaques have since been relocated to the Kings Heath site and the arch has been dismantled.
Inscription
Archway: IN/ MEMORIAM/ 1914 1919 Plaque: (Names) Plaque: (Names)
Inscription legible?
yes
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 135
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 135
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname
    Order of information: surname
Components
  • Arch
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Brick
  • Gate
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Bronze
  • Plaque
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Undefined
Listing information
Condition
History
c2011: Site visit confirms that the upper portion of the arch has been dismantled, leaving the lower wall shaft and gates. The date on which the arch was dismantled and the fate of the gates is unknown. 1956: School relocated and took plaques with names to new site at Kings Heath. The arch was left in situ along with the gates. (See separate record for plaques)
Costs

Comments: Architect gave services free.
Memorial: £525

Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Sponsorship
Public,other
Reference
  • Local Publication/Booklet 33-39/ 1921 The Chronicle, school magazine
  • Images of the arch, pre-1956

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-61722

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.