At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to memorials@iwm.org.uk for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.

Memorial details

Memorial type
Panelling
District
Richmond Upon Thames
Town
Barnes
County
Greater London
Country
England
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918), VC or GC Recipients
Maker
MacDonald Gill FRIBA, FRGS (Architect)
Ceremony
  • Dedicated
    Date: 11 May 1926
    Attended by: Bishop of London
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
58875
Current location

First floor of corridor near High Master's office.
St Pauls School
Lonsdale Road
Barnes
Richmond Upon Thames
Greater London
SW13 9JT
England

OS Grid Ref: TQ 22474 78004
Denomination: Undefined

View location on Google Maps
Previous locations
  • In the Chapel.
    St Pauls School
    153 Hammersmith Rd
    West Kensington
    Hammersmith And Fulham
    Greater London
    W14
    England

    OS Grid Ref: TQ 241 784
    Denomination: Undefined
Description
13 panels of the panelling formerly in the chapel, incised with names, which read from left to right consecutively, except that the panel for 1912-15 entrants, which concluded with the names of 3 under the heading STAFF OF MASTERS and 1 under the heading STAFF OF SCHOOL SERVANTS, was at the extreme left. The 13th panel has the heading DESIDERATIS ADNUMERENTUR, and shows 18 names arranged similarly to the other panels but without dates. Some of these names are shown against units from the Dominions, and it is possible that information from them was late in being collated, hence the difference between the original number proposed and the final tally.
Inscription
13th panel:DESIDERATIS ADNUMERENTUR/ (Names)
Inscription legible?
yes
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 506
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 506
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname,rank,regiment,decorations
    Order of information: Undefined
  • VC or GC Recipients
    Total names on memorial: 2
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 2
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: Undefined
    Order of information: Undefined
Components
  • Panelling
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Undefined
  • Chapel
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Undefined
Listing information
Condition
History
The Chapel was designed to be in keeping with the school surroundings, and incorporated stained glass windows of the former Library. Some of these were destroyed in WW2 by enemy action and replaced. Sources vary on numbers, so presumably some were added: see note above. 1968 Chapel was demolished on the school's move to Barnes.
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Reference
  • BRITISH PUBLIC SCHOOLS WAR MEMORIALS by KERNOT, C F pp.230-1. Source: Image Library NIWM Published:ROBERTS AND NEWTON 1927 LONDON
  • .A N G Richards: 'St Paul's School in West Kensington 1884-1968' (1968)

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-58875

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.