- Marble Tablet in a granite frame, being the right hand side tablet of the main Cathedral Roll of Honour (our reference 5846), which has always been here- see the references section of this report for more detail. The Regiments are in little copper panels set in relief next to the names, which are inscribed in black
- THE CONGREGATION/OF THE UNITED FREE CHURCH OF/OLD ABERDEEN HERE REVERENTLY/RECORDS THE NAMES OF THOSE OF/ITS FELLOWSHIP WHO LAID DOWN/THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR/[names]
- Inscription legible?
- Names on memorial
- Arthur, J C
Cardno, A M
Cardno, A S
Davidson, A G
Lawrence, C J
Mackintosh, A D
Mitchell, T B
See details for all 17 names
- First World War (1914-1918)
Total names on memorial: 17
Served and returned: 0
Exact count: yes
Information shown: surname, initials of forenames, rank, regiment, date of death
Order of information: Undefined
- First World War (1914-1918)
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
- www.stmachar.com/memorial.htm- Addenda The Committee have had under consideration an application made to the Kirk Session by Principal Sir George Adam Smith on behalf of the Minister, Office bearers and others of the Old Aberdeen United Free Church to have names of the men connected with the United Free Church who fell in the war placed along with those on the Cathedral Roll of Honour. The Committee discussed the application and examined an amended design of the Memorial tablet by Mr Cromar Watt shewing how the application could be met, and came to the following resolution in regard thereto, viz., “That the Committee express their sympathy with the application, and remit the same to the Congregation for its instructions, with a recommendation that the Congregation accede to the request 17 September, 1920. CA. Thomson, Convener Old Aberdeen United Free Church, 12 October 1920 At a meeting of the congregation of this church on the above date, the Rev. A.C Dawson presiding, it was moved, seconded and unanimously agreed to: “That the congregation of Old Aberdeen Free Church, having before them a proposal that the congregation should be associated with that of Old Machar Cathedral in a memorial to those of both congregations who have given their lives in the Great War- a proposal already approved by the elders of this congregation and by the relatives of the fallen soldiers connected with it: and having heard the resolutions there anent of the Kirk Session, of the Memorial Committee and of the congregation of the Cathedral do now express their warm approval of the proposal and their grateful sense of the generous sympathy of the Cathedral Congregation in heartily agreeing that a tablet be placed side by side with the Cathedral congregation’s tablet to contain the names of the fallen soldiers of the Old Aberdeen United Free Congregation.” 8 December 1920 The War Memorial Committee reported progress and intimated receipt of £100.12s. 6d. of subscriptions. 17 February 1924. The moderator suggested that on the occasion of the unveiling of the joint War memorial at the Cathedral on the ninth day of March 1924 at 2.30pm the congregation be asked to attend this ceremony at the sister church. Extract from “Aberdeen Press and Journal” March 10, 1924 St Machar’s Cathedral War Memorial. Unveiling by General Sir G.F.Milne. What Scotland was saved from: Lessons and Inspiration. With a beautiful and impressive service the War memorial of St Machar’s Cathedral, Old Aberdeen was unveiled and dedicated yesterday afternoon. The memorial is a stained glass window in the south aisle with the names of the fallen belonging to the Cathedral and to Old Aberdeen United Free Church on marble tablets beneath, and a stone table in memory of the two ministers of the Cathedral who served and suffered in the war – The Rev. James Kirk M.C. and the Rev. Dr. Bruce McEwen. In the chief lights of the window are the figures of St Michael (centre), Fortititude (left) and Justice (right). Below on the left and right are scenes of the soldiers in action and in repose – men asleep in the trench, with the sentry peering into No-Man’s land; and in the centre ships of war in the sea off Bridge of Don. The unveiling was performed by General Sir George F. Milne G.C.M.G, K.C.B., D.S.O., LL.D., of the Eastern command, a native of Aberdeen who commanded the British Salonika Forces and the Army of the Black Sea during the war. Music from Allied Nations. Within the venerable building, brightened by the clear sunshine of a lovely spring day, gathered a large congregation. As the worshippers assembled music which at once brought them into the atmosphere of the service was played by Mr. M.M.Gilchrist. Very fittingly the organist had selected the works of British, French and Belgian composers opening with the Lamentations of Guilmant which was followed by Parry’s beautiful choral prelude on the tune “Communion” to which the 35th Paraphrase is sung, and Cesar Franck’s inspiring Piece Heroique and concluding with Bairstow’s quiet and reassuring Elegy. “Counted not their lives dear” Softly came the comforting words of the introit, Newnham’s “And God shall wipe away all tears” finely sung by a quartette in the west gallery of the Cathedral and supplemented by the choir with touching effect. The congregation joined in the familiar lines of the 23rd Psalm to the tune “Wiltshire “and then Dr MacGilchrist engaged in prayer giving thanks for the wonderful victory bestowed upon us and our allies. The roll of honour Standing with heads bowed the, the congregation listened to the recital of the names of the fallen. Mr. Dawson concluded the recital of the names with the names of those of the United Free Church, Old Aberdeen. The unveiling. With the thoughts of loved ones, old comrades-in-arms and friends blended the bugle notes of “The Last Post” sounded outside by Drummer Dawson D.C.M., Gordon Highlanders and after these had died away there was a solemn moment of silent remembrance, closed gently by the singing of “Sleep thy last sleep” (Carrol) by the choir. The sweet plaintive strains of “The Flowers of the Forest” played on the organ formed a beautiful prelude to the unveiling ceremony, the congregation rising as the officiating clergy, General Milne, Mr. W.F. Webster, joint convener of the Memorial Committee and ex Baillie Beveridge, convener of the Standing Committee of the heritors, proceeded up the centre aisle to the memorial window, near which stood the B.B. Guard of Honour. General Milne drew aside the draping from the window and Dr MacGilchrist spoke the sentence of dedication:- “To the glory of God and for the perpetual memory of our brave sons and brothers, who freely gave their lives in our defense, these memorials are dedicated in the name of the Father and of the son and of the Holy Ghost.” (After General Milne’s Address), to the well known tune “St Asaph” the congregation joined in the 35th Paraphrase, “How bright these glorious spirits shine” and after the benediction and the choral “Amen” the National Anthem was sung. Again the bugle sounded – the “Reveille” with its note of hope this time – and the service was over. As the congregation filed past the memorial, the colouring of the window illumined by the brilliant sunlight, sprigs of laurel – the emblem of victory and thanksgiving – were handed by members of the B.B. to relatives of the fallen. Two wreaths of laurel were laid at the memorial on behalf of the congregations of the Cathedral and the Old Aberdeen U.F. Church. Among those who sent private wreaths were Mrs. Kirk and Mrs. McEwen, the widows of the two ministers commemorated by the memorial table. After leaving the Cathedral General Milne inspected the Boys’ Brigade at the Chanonry.
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact [email protected].