previous
next
  • Use this image under non-commercial licence

    This image was created and shared by: Paul Blundell

    The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Paul Blundell (WMR-57983)

    Embed
    HTML: BBCode:
  • Use this image under non-commercial licence

    This image was created and shared by: Paul Blundell

    The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Paul Blundell (WMR-57983)

    Embed
    HTML: BBCode:

Memorial details

Memorial type
Pillar / Column
District
North East Fife
Town
Carnbee
County
Fife
Country
Scotland
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918), Second World War (1939-1945)
Maker
SIR ROBERT LORIMER (Architect)
Messrs McLeod of Edinburgh (Makers)
Ceremony
  • Unveiled
    Date: 19th September 1920
    Attended by: Sir Ralph Anstruther of Balcaskie
  • Dedicated
    Date: 19th September 1920
    Attended by: Rev. T. P. Johnson, Rev. George Thompson and Rev. George Chisholm
  • Show More (1)
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
57983

Support the IWM War Memorial Register

Donate with Just Giving

Since 1988 IWM's War Memorials Register has been creating a national register of UK war memorials and the names of the individuals they commemorate. IWM needs your support to ensure that we can add to and maintain our these important records.

Current location

Carnbee War Memorial
On the road approaching Carnbee Parish Church
Carnbee
North East Fife
Fife
DD9 7RP
Scotland

OS Grid Ref: NO 53109 65410
Denomination: Undefined

View location on Google Maps
Description
Two shallow octagonal steps surmounted by a square plinth, shaft and small cross. Four shields carved in relief at the top of the shaft depicting a thistle, a lion rampant, a saltire and St George. Inscription carved into the sides of the plinth.
Inscription
12 o'clock face: IN PROUD AND/ LOVING MEMORY/ OF THE MEN/ OF CARNBEE/ WHO DIED FOR/ THEIR COUNTRY IN/ THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1919. 3 o'clock face: 1914-1919/ (Names) 12 o'clock face: REMEMBER ALSO/ (Names)/ THEY GAVE THEIR LIVES/ 1939-1945/ IN THE SAME SPIRIT OF/ DEVOTION AND SACRIFICE.
Inscription legible?
yes
Names on memorial
Adams, James
Anstruther, R E
Calman, William
Campbell, A
Cunningham, James
Cunningham, William
Donaldson, James
Donaldson, Robert
Elder, Charles
Falconer, William
See details for all 18 names
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 15
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 15
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname, rank, regiment, forenames, decorations
    Order of information: surname
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
    Total names on memorial: 3
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 3
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname, rank, service, forenames, decorations
    Order of information: surname
Components
  • Column
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Stone - Ashlar
  • Plinth
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Stone - Ashlar
  • Steps
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Stone - Ashlar
Condition
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Reference
  • The Scotsman 21 September 1920. WAR MEMORIALS CARNBEE:— The unveiling of a war memorial formed part of the divine service in the Parish Church on Sunday. There was a large congregation, presided over by the Rev. T. P. Johnston, senior minister of the parish. Assisting him were the Rev. G. Thompson, junior minister, and the Rev. John Chisholm, of Carnbee U.F. Church. Among those present were Sir Ralph Anstruther and Lady Anstruther, Sir Robert and Lady Lorimer, Mrs Erskine, Grangemuir, &c. A short address was given by the Rev. G. Thompson. The congregation then adjourned to the memorial which stands close to the churchyard gate, where Sir Ralph Anstruther of Balcaskie delivered an appropriate address, and at its close unveiled the column. He said they could truthfully say that when the time of trial came to the people of the country, and none more readily than those of Scotland, subordinated to the public weal; union was strength, and they had their reward. Would they be able to point to a similar united effort for the restoration of prosperity, to a similar sinking of differences, to a similar willingness to deny self, and follow the hard path of duty? He hoped so, and believed that a powerful incentive to such a line of action lay in the example of those whose glorious career they commemorated that day. The memorial was designed by Sir Robert Lorimer, who is a parishioner of Carnbee, and is composed of a pedestal standing on steps, surmounted by a column bearing shields with appropriate charges. Fourteen names are inscribed on the memorial.
  • Scottish War Memorials Project tinyurl.com/krcrcn
  • The Scotsman 25 July1921. DEATH OF SON OF SIR RALPH ANSTRUTHER. The death is reported from Nordrach-on-Dee of Captain Robert E. Anstruther, M.C., 1st Black Watch, only son of Sir Ralph W. Anstruther, Bart., of Balcaskie, Fife. On leaving Eton, Captain Anstruther went to Sandhurst, where he carried off the Sword of Honour, the highest award of the college. He obtained a commission in the 1st Black Watch. In August 1914 he went to France, and was wounded at the Battle of the Aisne, when he became one of the first recipients of the Military Cross. He rejoined his battalion in Flanders in January 1915, and was again wounded at Messines. After a long convalescence he was engaged on home service, but active service in the field was his one desire, and again he returned to France in September 1916, where, in command of the 8th Battalion, he was again seriously wounded in June 1917 on the Arras front. On restoration to health he was on service in Ireland and elsewhere. After the Armistice he returned to his old battalion. He was married in the spring of 1919 to Miss de Burgh, daughter of the late Hugo de Burgh, of Ballinapierce, Ireland, and was stationed in Kent. Some months ago he was obliged to seek treatment at Nordrach, but all medical skill proved unavailing, and he died there. His last days were brightened by the birth on 13th June of a son and heir.
  • Dundee Courier - Monday 20 September 1920

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-57983

For queries, please contact [email protected]