Use this image under non-commercial licence
This image was created and shared by: Frederick B. Cook (Ambassador of the United States, Retired)
The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Frederick B. Cook (Ambassador of the United States, Retired) (WMR-57460)
- Recumbent effigy of Colonel Cureton in uniform. His head rests on the barrel of a cannon and a sword is in his hand.
- SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF/ COLONEL C. R. CURETON C.B. AND ADC TO THE QUEEN/ ADJUTANT GENERAL OF H.M. FORCES IN INDIA/ AND LATE LIEUT COLONEL COMMANDING THE 16TH LANCERS/ WHO FELL IN AN ENGAGEMENT WITH THE SIKH TROOPS AT RAMNUGGUR/ ON THE 22ND NOVEMBER 1848/ WHEN COMMANDING THE CAVALRY OF THE BRITISH ARMY UNDER GENERAL LORD GOUGH G.C.B/ THIS MONUMENT IS ERECTED BY HIS COMRADE AND BROTHER OFFICERS IN INDIA/ BY WHOM HE WAS HELD AS SOLDIER IN UNIVERSAL ADMIRATION AND RESPECT/ AND IN LOVE AND ESTEEM AS A FRIEND.
- Inscription legible?
- Colonial India
Total names on memorial: 1
Served and returned: 0
Exact count: yes
Information shown: surname,rank,year died,regiment,place of death,manner of death,occupation
Order of information: Undefined
- Colonial India
- Listing information
- This memorial is not currently listed. Find out how to nominate this memorial for inclusion on the National Heritage List for England
- More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography tinyurl.com/n8qdod
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact [email protected]