At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please upload it via our image upload form for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.

Memorial details

Memorial type
Cross
District
Angus
Town
St Vigeans
County
Tayside
Country
Scotland
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918)
Ceremony
  • Dedicated
    Date: 5 June 1920
    Attended by: Rev. Mr C. E. Duff
  • Unveiled
    Date: 5 June 1920
    Attended by: Right Honourable The Earl of Strathmore, Lord-Lieutenant of the county.
  • Show More (1)
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
5678

Support IWM

Donate with Just Giving

Any gift we receive makes a vital contribution to our ongoing work, from conserving our collection to supporting our public programme.

Current location

NE corner of churchyard
St Vigeans Church
Off St Vigeans Brae
St Vigeans
Angus
Tayside
DD11 4RB
Scotland

OS Grid Ref: NO 63840 42926
Denomination: Church of Scotland

View location on Google Maps
Description
Celtic cross set on a tapering shaft , plinth and base. At the base of the shaft are carved a crown with a latin cross, and on the faces of the plinth are the names.
Inscription
6 o'clock face on the Shaft of the Cross-TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN MEMORY OF THOSE/ CONNECTED WITH THE/ PARISH OF ST VIGEANS. On the Plinth- 1914 1918/"GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS/THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS/(Black Watch Names)/"DULCE ET DECORUN EST PRO PATRIA MORI."/ERECTED BY PARISHIONERS AND FRIENDS. Other Faces- [names]
Inscription legible?
yes
Names on memorial
Anderson, Frederick
Bennet, Andrew W
Bowie, John
Bruce, James
Cadogan, James P
Cargill, James
Christison, David
Clark, James
Clark, Thomas
Craig, Alexander
See details for all 61 names
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 61
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 61
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname, rank, regiment, forenames
    Order of information: Undefined
Components
  • Base
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Granite - Kemnay
  • Cross
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Granite - Kemnay
  • Plinth
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Granite - Kemnay
Condition
Costs

Site: £294 10s 6d

Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Sponsorship
Public
Reference
  • Dundee Courier - Monday 7 June 1920 EARL OF STRATHMORE UNVEILS WAR MEMORIAL. -CELTIC CROSS WHICH BEARS FIFTY NINE NAMES. An artistically designed war memorial in the form of Celtic cross of Aberdeen grey granite (sculptured), erected in the north east corner of the churchyard of St Vigeans, near Arbroath, to commemorate the sacrifice made by 59 parishioners, who during war laid down their lives, was unveiled on Saturday afternoon by the Earl Strathmore, Lord-Lieutenant of Forfarshire. The memorial has an imposing appearance. Prior to the unveiling ceremony a choral service, presided over by Rev. C. E. Duff, minister of the parish, was held in the church. There was a very large congregation, including Provost A. C. Anderson, Town Councillors, and burgh officials of Arbroath, representatives of the Parish Council of Arbroath and St Vigeans, and of various district School Management Committees. At the close of the service the company gathered round the monument. Lord Strathmore, in a brief Address, said he thought Scotland had suffered the greatest loss during the war, and perhaps the worst moment was at Loos, when in those terrible three days towards the end of September, 1915, a great part of the flower of Scottish manhood was annihilated. As one who had suffered through the loss a son who was killed in France, he could say to all those who had suffered in like manner that there was great consolation in the knowledge that their loved ones had joined that great band of heroes for whom there awaited a crown of glory. His Lordship then removed the Union Jack which covered the monument, and in prayer Rev. Mr Duff dedicated the memorial. He afterwards read over the 59 names, which were inscribed upon the panels of the monument. The total cost of the memorial is £294 10s 6d, which sum has been raised by public subscription.
  • The Scotsman - Monday 07 June 1920 ST VIGEANS PARISH.
  • Arbroath Guide - Saturday 12 June 1920 The Arbroath Guide 1920 - Unveiling and Dedication of Memorial at St Vigeans : Lord Strathmore's Tribute: With quiet ceremonial appropriate to the solemn occasion there was formally unveiled at St Vigeans on Saturday , a war memorial to the men connected with the Parish who fell in the Great War . The Memorial , which is in the form of a Celtic Cross , occupies a commanding site on the top of the grassy knoll at the north east corner of the old burying ground adjacent to the Parish Church. It is 16th feet high with a base of 3 foot 10 inches and by 3 foot 8inches , and is made of Kemnay grey granite, the total cost of the erection which was raised by public subscription being £294 10s 6d . On four polished panels above the base are inscribed in black letters the names and regiments of 59 men who made the supreme sacrifice in the War, and surmounting the east or front panel is the following inscription " To the Glory of God and in memory of those connected with the Parish of St Vigeans who fell in the Great War 1914 - 1919 " Then follows the Biblical quotation "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends ," while underneath the names on the front panel are inscibed the Latin words, "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mor " and "Erected by Parishioners and friends ." The Unveiling ceremony was performed by the Right Hon The Earl of Strathmore , Lord Lieutenant of Forfarshire and the interesting event ws witnessed by a large assemblage, there being in addition to a large attendance of members and adherents of the church from all parts of the wide scattered parish, a goodly respresentation of visitors from Arbroath , including members of the Town Council , Parish Council, and District District School Management committee. The Unveiling of the Memorial was preceded by an impressive service , which was held in the Parish Church , at which the Rev C. E. Duff , minister of the parish officiated . Lord Strathmore , who was accompanied by his factor , Mr Ralston , was attired in the Lord Lieutenant's dress uniform , and Provost A.C. Anderson , who headed the municipal party , wore his gold chain of Office. The front seats in the area of the ancient edifice were reserved for Lord Strathmore , and the respresentatives of public boards. The newspaper gives full details on the officials attending and the name casualties on the War Memorial . Then the last para records ... The Memorial was sculptured in Aberdeen and was erected by Mr F K Easton , Arbroath . The money was raised by a Committee of which Rev Mr Duff was convener and Mr Wm Gould and Mr Wm Beattie , joint secretaries and treasurers .
  • warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/viewtopic.php?t=1357&mforum=warmemscot

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-5678

For queries, please contact [email protected].