• Use this image under non-commercial licence

    This image was created and shared by: Dunbar Community Council

    The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Dunbar Community Council (WMR-5649)

    HTML: BBCode:

Memorial details

Memorial type
East Lothian
First World War (1914-1918), Second World War (1939-1945), Malayan Emergency (1948-1960)
  • Unveiled
    Date: 3 July 1921
    Attended by: General Sir Reginald Wingate, Bart
  • Rededicated
    Date: 28 October 2019
    Attended by: Undefined
  • Rededicated
    Date: 2 June 1949
    Attended by: Undefined
  • Show More (2)
Not lost
WM Reference

Support the IWM War Memorial Register

Donate with Just Giving

Since 1988 IWM's War Memorials Register has been creating a national register of UK war memorials and the names of the individuals they commemorate. IWM needs your support to ensure that we can add to and maintain our these important records.

Current location

The memorial is located on the cliff top behind the hotel.
Bayswell Hotel
Bayswell Park
East Lothian
EH42 1AE

OS Grid Ref: NT 67362 79273
Denomination: Undefined

View location on Google Maps
Previous locations
  • Bayswell Hotel
    Marine Drive
    East Lothian

    OS Grid Ref: Undefined
    Denomination: Undefined
The cross stands atop a three-stepped plinth base which carries the names of the fallen. The inscription is located on the shaft of the cross. The names from World War 1 are located on the top step incised directly into the stone with those commemorating the fallen of World War 2 added on plaques to the stone face of the second tier. A name from the Malaya conflict is also recorded. The memorial is surrounded by a low fence and approached via a path.
Inscription legible?
Names on memorial
Amos, Robert G
Amos, William
Anderson, A Stewart
Anderson, Duncan
Anderson, Edward
Anderson, George
Anderson, Robert
Angus, James
Archibald, William
Bald, John
See details for all 216 names
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 146
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 146
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname, forenames
    Order of information: surname
  • Second World War (1939-1945)
    Total names on memorial: 66
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 66
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname, forenames
    Order of information: surname
  • Malayan Emergency (1948-1960)
    Total names on memorial: 1
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 1
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname, forename
    Order of information: Undefined
  • Cross
    Measurements: height 4877 mm
    Materials: Granite
In 2018 a grant of £4,785 from the Centenary Memorials Restoration Fund, supported by Historic Environment Scotland and the Scottish government helped fund repair and conservation works. A crack on the shaft was repaired and the memorial was re-pointed. The memorial was cleaned with brushes and low pressure water with appropriate poultices used by specialists to reduce the metal staining on the stone. In addressing the inscriptions the lettering was repainted with an appropriate oil based paint to match the existing colour. All metal elements were marked with SmartWater as part of the In Memoriam 2014 initiative to deter theft.
Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Dunbar Community Council
  • Carter Postcard Collection
  • Dunbar War Memorial: Dedication of Added Names, 28th October 1030 Posted on October 20, 2019 Author georgerobertson A Dedication Ceremony will take place on Monday 28th October to mark the completion of the War Memorial Restoration Project and the addition of missing names. The ceremony will commence at 1030 am, with the Lord Lieutenant and East Lothian Provost present as well as pupils from Dunbar Primary and Grammar Schools. Conservation and Enhancement Project Designed by the Edinburgh architect F E B Blanc, and erected by Dunbar builder George Cunningham, the Memorial was commissioned to “commemorate the memory of those who had given their lives for the King and Country” during World War 1 (Burgh Council minutes). It was unveiled and dedicated on 3rd July 1921, “in the presence of several thousands of spectators” (“Haddingtonshire Courier”). Sited at the entrance to the town’s West Promenade, it remained there when two granite plaques recording the dead of World War 2 were added to the plinth, and unveiled at an “impressive ceremony” on 2nd June 1949 (“Haddingtonshire Courier”). Threatened by coastal erosion, the Memorial was moved inland to its present location in 1989, when it was positioned within a concrete slab enclosure. At its exposed clifftop site overlooking the North Sea, the Memorial, almost a century old, inevitably has suffered from the effects of the weather. Concerns were expressed over the loss of legibility of the names of the fallen, at its general condition and at the poor quality of its surroundings. To address these, a working group comprising representatives of Dunbar Community Council, the local branch of the Royal British Legion, and the Dunbar & District History Society was established to make recommendations for the Memorial’s conservation, and any other actions needed. A condition survey identified its conservation requirements, and it was decided to upgrade its setting by replacing the concrete slabs with red sandstone paving. As their thinking evolved, the working group came to the view that possible “missing” names from both World Wars should be researched, with the intention of adding those that met War Memorials Trust criteria. In all, 65 names were investigated, most being discounted because of limited, if any, links with Dunbar and Parish. The conservation and enhancement of the Memorial was accomplished in time for the Remembrance Service on Sunday 11th November 2018, which marked the centenary of the World War 1 Armistice. The addition of 16 “missing” names on 28th October 2019 represents the completion of the project. Funding From the outset it was clear the works could only be undertaken if financed from external sources. A campaign to raise funding succeeded in attracting grants and donations totalling £26,000. The working group wish to extend their warm thanks to the undernoted for providing the financial support needed to transform their proposals into reality. Viridor Credits Environmental Company, East Lothian Council (Civic Pride Fund) War Memorials Trust, Dunbar Community Council, Greene King, Rotary Club of Dunbar EDF Energy, Anonymous Benefactor.
  • War Memorials Trust Bulletin 79-November 2018- The front cover has an image 'as built' and page 3 an image with the WW2 names added, and after restoration
  • Information about 10 extra WW1 names and 4 WW2 names which were added in 2019 [note that eventually a further 2 names seem to have been added- no details of these 2 are known}

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-5649

For queries, please contact [email protected]