previous
next
  • Use this image under non-commercial licence

    This image was created and shared by: War Memorials Trust (WMO 224789)

    The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © War Memorials Trust (WMO 224789) (WMR-55683)

    Embed
    HTML: BBCode:

Memorial details

Memorial type
Board / Plaque / Tablet
District
Kennet
Town
Marlborough
County
Wiltshire
Country
England
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918)
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
55683
Current location

Mounted on the right wall of the Lady Chapel altar
St Mary's Church
Kingsbury Street
Marlborough
Kennet
Wiltshire
SN8 1JE
England

OS Grid Ref: SU 18908 69244
Denomination: Church of England

View location on Google Maps
Previous locations
  • Christ Church
    Cadley
    A346
    Savernake Forest
    Kennet
    Wiltshire
    SN8 4NE
    England

    OS Grid Ref: SU 20878 66573
    Denomination: Church of England
Description
Brass plaque on a wooden backboard. The plaque has an engraved oak leaf and acorn design in the top corners and a cross at top centre. The incised lettering is mainly in black, but with some initials in red. (Attached to foot of the backboard is a small brass plaque which appears to have been added later, probably in the 1970s when the plaque was moved to St Mary's Church, Marlborough. That small plaque clarifies that the memorial relates to parishioners of Cadley).
Inscription
(Main plaque): TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ IN THANKFULNESS FOR VICTORY AND IN/ PROUD AND LOVING MEMORY OF THE MEN OF/ THIS PARISH WHO LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918./ (NAMES)/ "Greater love hath no man than this/ that a man lay down his life for his friends". (Small plaque): This memorial commemorates/ the fallen of Cadley, Savernake/ 1914-1918.
Inscription legible?
yes
Names on memorial
Blanchard, William
Ferguson, Andrew
Gay, Joseph
Mullins, Oliver
Purton, Alfred
Purton, Charles
Smith, William
See details for all 7 names
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 7
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 7
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: Forename, surname
    Order of information: Undefined
Components
  • Plaque
    Measurements: height 610mm, width 460mm
    Materials: Brass
  • Backboard
    Measurements: height 690mm, width 550mm
    Materials: Wood
Listing information
Condition
History
In 1975 Christchurch in Cadley closed. It was declared a redundant Church in 1979, and subsequently converted into a private house. The Cadley WW1 plaque was consequently moved to St Mary's Church in Marlborough, which is almost certainly when the small brass plaque was added to the memorial's backboard, in order to clarify that the memorial relates to Cadley parishioners.
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Responsibility
Church of England
Reference

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-55683

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.