At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to email@example.com for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.
- Garden area in which is a wooden temple-like stucture/pavilion facing the US Embassy. An oak pergola (an open framework over a walkway usually covered with climbing plants) frames the rear half of the garden. There are three plaques, two being names only and the other bearing the main dedication. In front of the temple is part of a poem, For Katrina's Sun-dial by Henry Van Dyke, on an oval stone set into the pavement. A part of the structure of the World Trade Centre is buried beneath the temple. The area is surrounded by railings and two planting beds containing a mixture of shrubs and herbaceous plants frame the entrance to the garden. An interpretation board stands in the square.
- PEDIMENT: GRIEF IS THE PRICE WE PAY FOR LOVE UPPER PLAQUE: THOSE UNITED KINGDOM CITIZENS WHO LOST THEIR LIVES ARE REMEMBERED HERE BY NAME OTHER PLAQUES: (NAMES) TABLET: TIME IS TOO SLOW FOR THOSE WHO WAIT, TOO SWIFT FOR THOSE WHO FEAR, TOO LONG FOR THOSE WHO GRIEVE, TOO SHORT FOR THOSE WHO REJOICE, BUT FOR THOSE WHO GRIEVE, TIME IS NOT
- Inscription legible?
- Terrorist Acts
Total names on memorial: 67
Served and returned: 0
Exact count: yes
Information shown: surname,forename
Order of information: surname
- Terrorist Acts
- Listing information
- This memorial is not currently listed. Find out how to nominate this memorial for inclusion on the National Heritage List for England
- More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
- FT Magazine 50 / 23/24 September 2006
- Our Blog ukniwm.wordpress.com/2007/09/11/commemorating-11-september/
- Evening Standard 31 May 2013 p.21 Complaint by a tour guide that homeless eastern Europeans were camping out in the memorial gardens.
- Other website www.s11ukfsg.org/garden.html#press
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.