At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to email@example.com for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.
- Wooden triptych with two hinged side panels which close over the central panel. Emblems of the countries listed are depicted along the sides.
- LEFT SIDE: TO THE INNERMOST/ HEART OF THEIR/ OWN LAND THEY/ ARE KNOWN RIGHT SIDE: AS THE STARS/ ARE KNOWN/ TO THE/ NIGHT CENTRE:MCMXIV MCMXVIII/ THE BRITISH FIGHTING FORCES/ THE ROYAL NAVY/ PERSONNEL 15TH AUGUST 1914 147,667/ TOTAL ENLISTMENTS 1914 - 1918 407,316/ KILLED OR DIED OF WOUNDS 34,654/ THE BRITISH ARMY/ PERSONNEL 1ST AUGUST 1914 733,514/ ENLISTMENTS 1914 - 1918/ ENGLAND 4,006,158 RHODESIA 7200/ WALES 272 924 NIGERIA/ 15 567/ SCOTLAND 557 618 GOLD COAST 10 287/ IRELAND 134 202 SIERRA LEONE 694/ CANADA 610 636 GAMBIA 371/ AUSTRALIA 416 809 WESTINDIES BRITISH HONDURAS BRITISH GUIANA 15 950/ NEW ZEALAND 124 211/ SOUTH AFRICA 136 074/ NEWFOUNDLAND 9826 BERMUDA 360/ INDIA 1 338 620 CYPRUS 3000/ EAST AFRICA 26 300 MALTA 3000/ NYASSALAND 10 800/ TOTAL ENLISTMENTS TO THE BRITISH ARMY/ 1914 - 1918 7 707 607/ TOTAL OF KILLED IN ACTION, DIED FROM WOUNDS/ OR DIED AS PRISONERS OF WAR 908 371/ THE ROYAL AIR FORCE/ PERSONNEL 1914 1900/ TOTAL ENLILSTMENTS 1914 - 1918 293 532/ KILLED OR DIED OF WOUNDS 4080/ GRAND TOTAL OF MEN ENLISTED IN THE/ ARMY, NAVY AND AIR FORCE, UP TO NOVEMBER 1918/ 9 291 520/ DIED FOR THE EMPIRE/ 1 069 825
- Inscription legible?
- First World War (1914-1918)
Total names on memorial: 0
Served and returned: 0
Exact count: yes
Information shown: Undefined
Order of information: Undefined
- First World War (1914-1918)
Materials: Wood - Oak
- Listing information
- This memorial is not currently listed. Find out how to nominate this memorial for inclusion on the National Heritage List for England
- More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
- British Fighting Forces
- WMO ID: 249817
- Condition: Good [last updated on 22-12-2016]
- Help update these details if the condition is wrong
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
- Our Blog ukniwm.wordpress.com/2007/10/09/million-citizens-of-the-british-empire/ The triptych lists the number who enlisted from each country in the British Empire. This includes South Africa (136,074), East Africa (26,300) Nyassaland (now Malawi – 10,800) Rhodesia (7,200) Nigeria (15,567) Gold Coast (10,287) Sierra Leone (694) Gambia (371) West Indies, British Honduras and British Guiana (15,950) and Bermuda (360).
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.