At present no image of this war memorial is available for online display. If you have a photograph of this war memorial, please send it to memorials@iwm.org.uk for inclusion on the Register. The image will be credited to yourself and free for reuse for non-commercial purposes by others under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.

Memorial details

Memorial type
Other structure
District
Richmond Upon Thames
Town
Richmond
County
Greater London
Country
England
Commemoration
First World War (1914-1918)
Ceremony
  • Dedicated
    Date: July 1926
    Attended by: Archbishop of Canterbury
  • Rededicated
    Date: September 1999
    Attended by: Local Clergy/Dignitaries
Lost
Not lost
WM Reference
47770
Current location

Chapel of St Mary. Lower ground floor.
Royal Star and Garter Home
Richmond Hill
Richmond
Richmond Upon Thames
Greater London
TW10 6RR
England

OS Grid Ref: TQ 184 738
Denomination: Church of England

View location on Google Maps
Description
Chapel with walls and floor of marble. Plaster ceiling decorated with symbolic emblems, incorporating the Cowdray family arms. Bust of Capt Pearson. Dedicatory inscription on board near the altar. Near this is a board with a list of Old Contemptibles who had been inpatients at the Home. Within the Chapel are laid up the banners of the Old Contemptibles Association Thurrock (Grays) Branch, the Knights of St George and the Royal Navy Association Barnes, Mortlake and Richmond Branches.
Inscription
THE CHAPEL OF THE HOME WAS GIVEN BY VISCOUNTESS COWDRAY IN MEMORY OF HER SON CAPTAIN THE HON. FRANCIS GEOFFREY PEARSON KILLED IN ACTION AT VAREDDES FRANCE SEPT. 6TH 1914. (Exact line spacing and sentence case unknown).
Inscription legible?
yes
Names on memorial
Chapel
See details
Commemorations
  • First World War (1914-1918)
    Total names on memorial: 1
    Served and returned: 0
    Died: 1
    Exact count: yes
    Information shown: surname,rank,year died,place of death,forename,relationships,additional
    Order of information: Undefined
Components
  • Chapel
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Marble, Plaster
  • Sculpture
    Measurements: Undefined
    Materials: Undefined
Listing information
Condition
History
Feb. 2009: it is planned to close the Home in 2011 and replace it by three homes, one in Solihull, one in Hampton Court, and a third to be decided. 1999: the Chapel was completely renovated and improved lighting installed.
Trust fund/Scholarship
No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Sponsorship
Private
Reference
  • Local Publication/Booklet 'The Architectural Review' Jan. 1925 Two pictures of the chapel under construction and advert for F De Jong & Co Ltd of Camden Town, the contractors for the ornamental fibrous plaster.

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© WMR-47770

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.