Use this image under non-commercial licence
This image was created and shared by: Mark Newton 22.09.2017
The image is free to reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence. By downloading any images or embedding any media, you agree to the terms and conditions of the IWM Non Commercial Licence, including your use of the attribution statement specified by IWM. For this item, that is: © Mark Newton 22.09.2017 (WMR-46462)
Support the IWM War Memorial Register
Since 1988 IWM's War Memorials Register has been creating a national register of UK war memorials and the names of the individuals they commemorate. IWM needs your support to ensure that we can add to and maintain our these important records.
- Thirty-nine trees in memory of the 39 British and Commonwealth men killed during the Berlin Airlift and a smaller copy of the memorial at Berlin Tempelhof Airport comprising a curved stone monument surmounted by metal eagle, wings outstretched. column extends upwards at centre and at each side. eagle is mounted in centre. Nearby are two plaques on brick bases with inscription, names and map of Germany showing airlift routes.
- Plaque one: THE BERLIN AIRLIFT / 1948-149 / WHEN ON THE 24TH JUNE 1948 THE SOVIET GOVERNMENT BLOCKADED ALL THE ROAD, RAIL AND CANAL ROUTES INTO / WEST BERLIN, ONLY THREE AIR CORRIDORS REMAINED OPEN / FOR FIFTEEN MONTHS IN ORDER TO PROVIDE FOOD AND FUEL TO THE TWO MILLION INHABITANTS ON THE CITY / ROYAL AIR FORCE, BRITISH CIVILIAN, COMMONWEALTH AND AMERICAN AIRMEN FLEW OVER TWO MILLION THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND TONS OF SUPPLIES INTO BERLIN AND CARRIED THOUSANDS OF WOMEN AND CHILDREN / THE SICK AND THE OLD TO REFUGE IN WEST GERMANY / BECAUSE OF THE OUTSTANDING SUCCESS OF THE 'AIRBRIDGE' THE SOVIETS GAVE UP THEIR FRUITLESS QUEST TO / STARVE THE CITY INTO SUBMISSION AND ON THE 12TH MAY 1949 THE BLOCKADE WAS LIFTED. WEST BERLIN AND PROBABLY / ALL OF GERMANY WERE SAVED FROM SOVIET COMMUNISM. AFTERWARD, THE NORTH ATLANTIC TREATY / ORGANISATION (NATO) WAS FOUNDED AND THE MARSHALL PLAN WAS IMPLEMENTED TO HELP REBUILD WESTERN EUROPE/ FORTY TWO YEARS LATER THE CITY OF BERLIN AND GERMAN WERE REUNTIED AND WITH THE COLLAPSE OF THE SOVIET / COMUNISIM MOST OF EUROPE RETURNED TO DEMOCRATIC GOVERNMENT / THIS MEMORIAL SIMULATES THE 'AIRBRIDGE' INTO AND OUT OF BERLIN FROM THE WESTERN ZONES WITH THE THREE / AIR CORRIDORS STANDING PROUD OF THE MAIN STRUCTURE. THE EAGLE REPRESENTS THE BRITISH AND COMMONWEALTH CONTRIBUTION TO THE FIRST VICTORY OF THE COLD WAR. / 12TH MAY 2001 THE BRITISH BERLIN AIRLIFT ASSOCIATION. Plaque two: THE BERLIN AIRLIFT/ 1948-1949/ AS IN ALL FAMOUS VICTORIES THERE WAS A PRICE TO PAY. SEVENTY BRITISH, COMMONWEALTH AND AMERICAN AIRMEN,/ TOGETHER WITH EIGHT GERMAN CIVILIANS WERE KILLED DURING THE AIRLIFT./ THE THIRTY NINE ROYAL AIR FORCE, BRITISH CIVILIAN AND COMMONWEALTH AIRMEN WHO DIED ARE COMMEORATED/ BY THIS PLINTH AND THE THIRTY NINE TRESS PLANTED BEHIND IT./ IN MEMORIAM/ 28TH JUNE 1948-30TH SEPTEMBER 1949/ (NAMES)/ 12TH MAY 2001/ THE BRITISH BERLIN AIRLIFT ASSOCIATION
- Inscription legible?
- Berlin Airlift (1948-1949)
Total names on memorial: 39
Served and returned: 0
Exact count: yes
Information shown: surname,forename,decorations
Order of information: surname
- Berlin Airlift (1948-1949)
Materials: Plant Material
Materials: Metal, Concrete
- Listing information
- This memorial is not currently listed. Find out how to nominate this memorial for inclusion on the National Heritage List for England
- More about listing and the protection of historic places can be found on the Historic England website
- Berlin Airlift memorial
- WMO ID: 194625
- Condition: Fair [last updated on 05-10-2018]
- Help update these details if the condition is wrong
- Trust fund/Scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
For queries, please contact [email protected]